Silkie attacked by dog, blind, need help! slightly graphic pics added

secuono

Crowing
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Virginia
She was attacked my by dumb little dog, others were killed, and yet others were injured or stressed, but are eating and moving around.

I brought in Sassie this morning.
One of her eye's is...er, 'deflated' and hanging out, closed lids. The other eye is closed, I am not sure how much damage it has.
Her mouth seems a bit less messed up. Yesterday, there was a reddish thing on the roof of her mouth. Her tongue and beak are fine.
I haven't seen her eat or drink yet. I don't know how I should go about doing that[getting her to drink or eat] with a mouth injury. She stays puffed in one spot, though she did move overnight in the coop.
She is in a dog carrier with a chick waterer and a dish of crumbles. I mixed 2 different chick foods with her regular adult food. I added a bit of Duramycin-10 into the water. I will get an electrolyte packet Monday. How much do I add to a quart of water?

Is there anything I can do for her?
I do not want to cull her unless she get's worse. And I don't mind having an indoor blind chicken if she won't be able to live out with her friends.

Please help!

Here's a blurry pic of her, a day before the attack. She was the prettiest of them all...
74863_161789053854611_100000705527207_351150_8030101_n.jpg

Last edited:
I know you really care for this bird. - The damaged eye that is hanging out probably will need to be removed and you will need a VET to do that.
If you don;t she will get a bad infection and she will die. - You need to get antibiotics from the vet!!!! Dogs have very dirty mouths and so there is a good chance the wounds will be infected. Please do this or she will die. You will need the Vet to check the other eye to see if it is viable.
She is in shock right now. - The best thing for the shock is a dark quiet warm place. She probably wont eat or drink on her own and you may need to help her gently.
You can do this by getting a small syring and filling it with warm water and a little honey. That helps with shock and dehydration and it is also a natural anticeptic so will help with her mouth wound. YOU must get this water into her. Gently put it in the edge of her beak and syring it in. Please be careful not to damage her beak further.
Do not be pulling at the eye that is hanging - the optic nerve is attached to her brain!!!

She can do well and survive as a blind bird loads of folk on BYC have them as pets - but you really must go to a good vet who is helpful with injured fowel.
She doesn;t have to be a Cull if she is treated right. HOWEVER SHOCK KILLS so don;t hold your breath on this one!!!! YOU have to make her drink that water add some infant vitamins into it too but it must not have any iron in it. You can get this from a pharmacy. it will turn the water slightly yellow.

Best of luck - take her to the vet ASAP to get antibiotics and that eye removed safely!!!!!! You cannot do that yourself!!!!!!
Oesdog -
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I do hope that you can get help for your girl - DO STRESS - she is NOT a farm animal she is purely
YOUR PET!!!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes vets are reluctant to treat our girls as they just see them as plain old supermarket chickens!!!

But you have to tell them SHE IS WORTH MORE THAN THAT TO YOU. - you have to get them to see her like they would a dog or a cat.
Be prepared they will put their arm in and legs as well with fees!!!!! Its up to you how much value you put on her life.
I just paid a hefty Vet bill just to be told to go home and kill my girl! I never did and she is fine - but I had to treat her myself. Unfortunately
your girls injuries are not ones that can be treated well at home by a layman.

Oesdog - hope you get a good vet who will help your girl!!!!! Make sure you tell the vet you don;t mind a blind bird!!!!!!!!! And you will care for her in the house!!!! They need to know that doesn;t matter to you, or they will just say cull!

Last edited:
I was told to contact an 8th vet near me, waiting on their response.

Sassie drank 3ml of water/antibiotic mix after she realized I wasn't trying to hurt her. She opened her beak just enough after the first drop.

How often should I give her water?

How long does food stay in the crop?

I am thinking of making a near liquid mash of a food each, like banana, then crumbles and then another separate one of yogurt.

To me, anything with a name is a pet...now that there are only 6 Japs that survived, they will need names! Before I had 18 crazy Japs, more of 'just a flock' than pets. But now, if they survive, they deserve names and a pet status.

She is in my now 'chicken room', the brooder is in there and so is the incubator. The brooder's light keeps the room warm, which keeps the incubator temp stable. Now it has a 'sick bay' too. So the room is warm, well lit, but the crate gives her a corner to herself. I think the baby chicks chattering will give her some comfort. Her sister Silkie, Foxie, was cuddling with her from time to time, but I wanted her closer so it's less stress on the others when I come in several times to feed her and the such.

Does anyone know of a 'chicken talk/sound' page that tells you what each noise they make mean??
What is 'purring', is that a threat or insecure?
I will search for it too.

Last edited:
Quote:
The food usually goes overnight from the crop. I would just keep giving her the water every hour for a while. just a wee gentle squert so she drinks it.
Its really important to combat the shock and stop dehydration as that is the biggest killer not her injuries!!!!!

hope you get a good vet for her soon. They don;t like treeating fowls. - the only other thing I can sugest is re - post another thread asking specifically about severe eye trauma and see if anyone with more experience than me can pick it up for you!!!!

Oesdog -
hugs.gif
- she may do a bit better if you put her on her own away from her friend for a bit incase the other bird peaks her wounds. When she is a bit better get her a friend.

When you say things and add your username, who are you talking to, it's confusing me.
And she is separated. "She is in my now 'chicken room', the brooder is in there and so is the incubator. The brooder's light keeps the room warm, which keeps the incubator temp stable. Now it has a 'sick bay' too. So the room is warm, well lit, but the crate gives her a corner to herself. I think the baby chicks chattering will give her some comfort. Her sister Silkie, Foxie, was cuddling with her from time to time, but I wanted her closer so it's less stress on the others when I come in several times to feed her and the such. "

"Oesdog - hope you get a good vet who will help your girl!!!!! Make sure you tell the vet you don;t mind a blind bird!!!!!!!!! And you will care for her in the house!!!! They need to know that doesn;t matter to you, or they will just say cull!

Oesdog - hugs - she may do a bit better if you put her on her own away from her friend for a bit incase the other bird peaks her wounds. When she is a bit better get her a friend."

I gave her more water, she drank it on her own again, once she knew what I wanted from her. I trimmed the feathers around her mouth and both eyes that were poking her. I did not touch the feathers that are stuck to what I believe is the hanging eye. She had white goop in the 'good' eye, after blinking several times while I was cleaning her up a bit, she seemed to me more aware. I also trimmed the poo covered feathers. Once I placed her back in, she pecked at the food 2x, but then the thing in her mouth bothered her and she tried to remove it, wiping her beak and opening her mouth.

Should I use a wet QTip and gently clean or dab at it? Maybe something is stuck to it, or it's not really supposed to be there...

Quote:
Photo the injury as close to her face as you can - DH says it could be the lense from over her eye. - DH can;t tell unless you post pics.
Advice place clean dry dressing over the damaged eye - YOU really have to get a VET TO SEE HER ASAP. She will die if the eye is not removed properly and cleaned and the socket stitched. - Did you post another thread about severe eye truama?????

Oesdog

I am looking for a vet that knows how to treat chickens. I cannot take her anywhere until I find the vet.

I will try and get a picture to post.

Back
Top Bottom