Silkie attacked...try saving her or put her out of her misery???

JenW

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 26, 2012
Deer Park, TX

I went out to feed the flock & noticed my silkie hen looking like this! She was fine yesterday, the coop & run are completely enclosed but I have found baby possums in the coop before. Could a possum have done this?! The silkies cant get too high up at night & where they sleep is probably the perfect height for a possum to try snatching one. Anyway I rinsed the eye with warm water & flushed with saline solution. She is seperated from the flock with a small bowl of water & duramycin-10 mixed in. Her beak cannot close & seems to be sideways so i doubt she can drink it anyways. She also has a spot on her back that i cant really see through the crusty feathers, but im certain there are puncture wounds under there. If theres no hope i would rather put her out of her misery (somehow, suggestions?) than let her suffer. I dont know what to do here, any help is appreciated!

I went out to feed the flock & noticed my silkie hen looking like this! She was fine yesterday, the coop & run are completely enclosed but I have found baby possums in the coop before. Could a possum have done this?! The silkies cant get too high up at night & where they sleep is probably the perfect height for a possum to try snatching one. Anyway I rinsed the eye with warm water & flushed with saline solution. She is seperated from the flock with a small bowl of water & duramycin-10 mixed in. Her beak cannot close & seems to be sideways so i doubt she can drink it anyways. She also has a spot on her back that i cant really see through the crusty feathers, but im certain there are puncture wounds under there. If theres no hope i would rather put her out of her misery (somehow, suggestions?) than let her suffer. I dont know what to do here, any help is appreciated!
I would clean and treat wounds. Clean wounds couple of times a day,put antibiotic ointment on wounds,nothing ending in "caine" toxic to chickens. Vetericyn is great product for all wounds,including eyes. Give electrolytes for shock,keep her quiet. Make sure she is eating/drinking. Give her a chance and see if she recovers. Hard to tell from picture,but if beak has an injury,may return to normal position as wound heals.

She ended up passing. She couldn't eat or dribk & her beak continued to open more & more. Thank you for your suggestions though. I tried. :(

Back
Top Bottom