Silkies really are evil, aren't they?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Jan 18, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Not having ever dealt with a broody silkie before, I was sure people were exaggerating when they called silkies "evil". I mean the sweet little things, so cute, how could they be evil?

Now sweet little Jethro is broody. Does she stay in the nestbox I put her in, the one just the right size for a silkie?

Nooooooooooooooooooo! Jethro has to hog the biggest, honkin' nestbox, the only one big enough for the meatie pullets to use, the one that can hold two meaties and another pullet besides comfortably. Everybody's favorite nestbox, yeah that one.

This morning I figured out why she's doing it. By using the favored nestbox and the other birds continuing to lay in it, Jethro gets herself a big ol' collection of eggs without the work. They lay em, she snatches em.

Evil, EVIL bird. [​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Well, she just expects you to go buy and assemble another one. **** silkie foot tapping****

[​IMG]

That one is HERS. Ahem.

3. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Silly girl!

Now I'm scared, I have a bunch of silkie eggs in the incubator [​IMG]

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Evil Genius

[​IMG]

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Be careful Gritty, they have alien mind control powers.
    [​IMG]

Imp

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:She beat me to it. Get busy, woman! [​IMG]

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I am now more convinced than ever I will never get any silkies. They're not even chickens. Or, if they are, they are the poodles or Pomeranians of the chicken world.

Cochins and frizzled Cochins are about as pouffy a chicken breed as I can handle.

But you do have my sympathies, Gritty.

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Ahh, but when they get soaking wet and you have to go out and towel dry them? They coo while you hold them and dry them off. [​IMG]

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Linda, by my calculations, Jethro laid a total of FIVE (5!) eggs before she went broody.

She will now proceed to be broody for the rest of her life, just to spite me.

Sure you don't want a silkie???

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Nope. And now I'm glad I got that incubator out of the house - it must have "magical" properties!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by