Its perfectly fine to go out there at night and take all of the eggs from under your broody. Candle them 1 by 1. Even the flashlight function of your cell phone works well for this. Then just put any developing ones back under her. It shouldn't take that long but put them all in a warm place (even a tucked in a jacket pocket) while they're waiting their turn if you're worried about them cooling. I do this with my hens all the time without them noticing.

Okay guys, our broody kept pushing one out and we candelled it ands couldn’t see a lot but there were little dots of liquid on the outside plus it smelled quite bad. Does this mean the others are bad too? What should we do? Thanks
Mama knows best! She just moved the bad one out of her way. If she thinks the rest have any hope, I'd give her a couple of days. And if you can, get one out to candle. If you do it quickly, she should take it right back again without an issue ... well, with one issue ... be prepared for a really nasty stink-eye from her!

Mama knows best! She just moved the bad one out of her way. If she thinks the rest have any hope, I'd give her a couple of days. And if you can, get one out to candle. If you do it quickly, she should take it right back again without an issue ... well, with one issue ... be prepared for a really nasty stink-eye from her!
Haha hope she doesn’t hate us to much after that But thanks for the advice! We will give her a few days and hope for the best!

Its perfectly fine to go out there at night and take all of the eggs from under your broody. Candle them 1 by 1. Even the flashlight function of your cell phone works well for this. Then just put any developing ones back under her. It shouldn't take that long but put them all in a warm place (even a tucked in a jacket pocket) while they're waiting their turn if you're worried about them cooling. I do this with my hens all the time without them noticing.
If there’s no popping or moving tomorrow we will definitely candel them all! When we candel them how will we know if they are still alive?

Okay guys, our broody kept pushing one out and we candelled it ands couldn’t see a lot but there were little dots of liquid on the outside plus it smelled quite bad. Does this mean the others are bad too? What should we do? Thanks
It means that one is bad. Doesn't say anything about the others. Good broody to push it out.

If there’s no popping or moving tomorrow we will definitely candel them all! When we candel them how will we know if they are still alive?

It would be difficult to tell but by this point they may rock slightly or you may even hear quiet cheeping, if you do candle them the egg should be completely dark by this point as the embroyo should be taking up all the room apart from the air cell at the flat end.

It would be difficult to tell but by this point they may rock slightly or you may even hear quiet cheeping, if you do candle them the egg should be completely dark by this point as the embroyo should be taking up all the room apart from the air cell at the flat end.
It did look like that when we candeled them but we haven’t seen rocking or really any sights that there alive. Could they just be late bloomers?

Candle a few of the eggs, if that one shows no movement then it may be a good idea to throw it away. But then again sence there’s no bad smell then it’s probably not rotten. If you do start smelling something bad take the egg out, that means the egg is rotten and may explode. It’s not fun cleaning up a rotten egg that exploded.

Candle a few of the eggs, if that one shows no movement then it may be a good idea to throw it away. But then again sence there’s no bad smell then it’s probably not rotten. If you do start smelling something bad take the egg out, that means the egg is rotten and may explode. It’s not fun cleaning up a rotten egg that exploded.
The ones we candeled look fertilised and don’t smell but they arnt moving or piping or showing any signs of life, could they just be late bloomers?

Back
Top Bottom