So I just want to say again that I couldn’t see movement for days before I went into lockdown with Pippi Longshot. But the egg was full of shadow so I gave him a chance. He’s 12 weeks old now.

But if there are no hatches I would definitely reward her with a few day old chicks.
Aww that’s so cute! We are hoping this one hatches even if it’s just one so she hasn’t been a great mum for nothing!

everyone! It’s been a mission, it’s 24 hours after he pipped and he hadn’t zipped at all. We know you arnt meant to help them hatch but it was our only option. As we started we could see the entire membrane was completely dried out so we were just in time! And it worked! We assume the humidity just wasn’t right under the broody and that’s why most didn’t hatch. But now it’s in nature’s hands and hopefully our broody takes such good care of him or her, Meet our new baby chick!

Attachments

• 18E874B3-F1D3-4FF2-B597-21976D55007B.jpeg
    18E874B3-F1D3-4FF2-B597-21976D55007B.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 27
everyone! It’s been a mission, it’s 24 hours after he pipped and he hadn’t zipped at all. We know you arnt meant to help them hatch but it was our only option. As we started we could see the entire membrane was completely dried out so we were just in time! And it worked! We assume the humidity just wasn’t right under the broody and that’s why most didn’t hatch. But now it’s in nature’s hands and hopefully our broody takes such good care of him or her, Meet our new baby chick!
So sweet. Is the chick under the broody now?

:woot Congratuations.!

In the future, just know that the humidity is always right under the setting hen unless she has a nest on sand in the Mojave desert or one continually reaches under the hen to candle and handle eggs.
Your constant interference dropped the humidity under the hen.

Now that you trust her to take a clutch to term, take a hands off approach from start to finish, especially at the end. This one ended fairly well but trillions of hens have successfully hatched eggs without human intervention. There is no reason they should need our help now.

Last edited:
:woot Congratuations.!

In the future, just know that the humidity is always right under the setting hen unless she has a nest on sand in the Mojave desert.
Your constant interference dropped the humidity under the hen.

Now that you trust her to take a clutch to term, take a hands off approach from start to finish, especially at the end. This one ended fairly well but trillions of hens have successfully hatched eggs without human intervention. There is no reason they should need our help now.
This is unfortunately true. The hen doesn't need our help.

Back
Top Bottom