Silky hatch-along and OdoBan on eggs experiment

Pics
Oh I can't remember how many when I had the racks full. When I candle them in a week I'll put them together to measure, but by looking at them now with 5 in a rack, they could most likely fit 4 more for a total of 9 eggs per rack. So for us, the 56EX becomes a 72. ☺️
72!?! Whoohoo! Hubby is going to be so happy... 🤣

I know I will have at least 36 LF eggs in there, but it will be great to sneak a few extra silkie eggs in, then once I pull out any clears things will be comfy for hatching.

But, mid / late summer when I do my next hatch I'm expecting it to be predominantly silkies, and then 😃 Brinsea 72! Whoop!

Awe! Teriyaki is a good name though! Did you nickname him Teri or Yaki or just call him by his full name? Ember it is though. Yes, these ones are going to be special for sure! ❤️
The lady I got him from called him Teri, so that's what we used. He was a character, he was 21 when I got him and he was still a spitfire. He was Crabbet, so he was a big boy, about 15.2 hands and I was all of 4ft at nine years old. He wasn't exactly a good first horse, but we made it 🤣

I'm so excited to see your own eggs hatch, and the effect of the Odoban. I'm excited for your new buff eggs too! I'm just all excited over this hatch in general :celebrate

The lady I got him from called him Teri, so that's what we used. He was a character, he was 21 when I got him and he was still a spitfire. He was Crabbet, so he was a big boy, about 15.2 hands and I was all of 4ft at nine years old. He wasn't exactly a good first horse, but we made it 🤣

I'm so excited to see your own eggs hatch, and the effect of the Odoban. I'm excited for your new buff eggs too! I'm just all excited over this hatch in general :celebrate
Awe, thank you Tink! :love

Those B's, C's, and P's by the way are from that breeder you gave me the name of. ❤️ If I haven't thanked you yet, THANK YOU! :hugs They cost me a small fortune but hubby didn't seem to care. He said it's an investment and he sees me so much happier when eggs and chicks are in here. :)

Awe, thank you Tink! :love

Those B's, C's, and P's by the way are from that breeder you gave me the name of. ❤️ If I haven't thanked you yet, THANK YOU! :hugs They cost me a small fortune but hubby didn't seem to care. He said it's an investment and he sees me so much happier when eggs and chicks are in here. :)
You are so very welcome, I'm so glad it worked out so well for you! I am hoping for an amazing hatch ❤

Chickens may cost $ but so does a therapist so overall, chickens are just the better route to go 🤣 my hubby is cautiously supportive of my silkies, he's not super happy my flock keeps outgrowing our coop capacity but he also supports this as my hobby, I work hard, the bills are paid, and what's a few more chickens? 😇 I equally support him every time he wants to buy another motorcycle, so I say we are square 🤣

I have 28 eggs set. :jumpy Come join my first-ever hatch-a-long!

1-18 silkie eggs were shipped and arrived this morning. 10 more are my silkies and are part of an experiment.

KEY: B = Buff, C = Cuckoo, P = Paint, O = soaked in Odoban disinfectant for 60 seconds. (I'll explain below the list if interested.)

For those who want to jump in on this, pick an egg, and if you want, come up with a male/female name for it. ☺️ Thank you!

1B:

2B:
@TwoCrows Tubey

3B:

4B:

5B:
@chanceosunshine Ovette

6B:

7B:
@Kiki Barbie

8B:

9B:

10B:

11P:
@Gigachad poultry

12P: @Tookie

13P: @GirlsHuntToo Winter

14C: @Somewhere_In_The_Clouds

15C: @fluffycrow Parsnip

16C: @Cloverr39 Lily/Lupin

17C: @GreenJay Zoey/Joey

18C:

19-23 are my silkies. 24-28 are my silkies soaked in Odoban

19: Marilyn (F)/Monroe (M)

20:

21:

22:

23:
@ChickenLoverTrin

24-O: @2ndTink Ember

25-O: @BigBlueHen53 Wisconsin-Twenty-Five-Oh/Connie

26-O: @Patiocoturnix

27-O: @Pampered chicken girl

28-O: @NagemTX

Only read on if you want to know about this little experiment:
Odoban is used in hospitals, hatcheries, etc. to kill germs, viruses, bacteria, etc. Herpes as well as about every other virus is listed as being killed by proper use of this product. Marek's is considered a herpes virus. Odoban's instructions to kill this and all viruses is to mix 5 oz of Odoban in 1 gallon of water and leave it on for 60 seconds. They do not discuss eggs, nor does anyone that a few of us could find. Thus, this experiment to see if (1) can eggs soaked in Odoban survive, and (2) would the Odoban soak have removed the bloom? If so, will those disinfected eggs now be vulnerable to germs and die?

Marek's spreads via dander and dust from the chicken. A hen who carries or has the Marek's virus could get dust/dander on her eggs. We stick those in an incubator as is, and chicks hatch most likely touching the shells, and could feasibly pick up Marek's within seconds of hatching. The odds are this wouldn't happen, but who wants to take the chance? Disinfecting the eggs isn't enough. The product used has to be strong enough to kill the herpes virus.

I have 10 of my silkie's eggs. Five of them were soaked for 60 seconds in Odoban mixed to the 5oz in 1-gallon water ratio. I then quickly ran them under the faucet and set on paper towels to dry. They along with the other unsoaked 5 were put in the Brinsea incubator a distance apart. They were set at 7:00 p.m. CST. The 18 shipped eggs were set at 8:30 p.m. in the NR360.

Getting ready
View attachment 3720879

All set
View attachment 3720888

If no one has 19, I'll take him. (Sorry Debbie, anyone I take is bound to be a rooster.) We'll call him Tadpole. You can drop him off at my house next time you're in Texas.
19 is yours, Janie, thank you! I'm going to someplace in Mexico in April. Texas is on the way, right? ☺️

I have 28 eggs set. :jumpy Come join my first-ever hatch-a-long!

1-18 silkie eggs were shipped and arrived this morning. 10 more are my silkies and are part of an experiment.

KEY: B = Buff, C = Cuckoo, P = Paint, O = soaked in Odoban disinfectant for 60 seconds. (I'll explain below the list if interested.)

For those who want to jump in on this, pick an egg, and if you want, come up with a male/female name for it. ☺️ Thank you!

1B:

2B:
@TwoCrows Tubey

3B:

4B:

5B:
@chanceosunshine Ovette

6B:

7B:
@Kiki Barbie

8B:

9B:

10B:

11P:
@Gigachad poultry

12P: @Tookie

13P: @GirlsHuntToo Winter

14C: @Somewhere_In_The_Clouds

15C: @fluffycrow Parsnip

16C: @Cloverr39 Lily/Lupin

17C: @GreenJay Zoey/Joey

18C:

19-23 are my silkies. 24-28 are my silkies soaked in Odoban

19:

20:

21:

22:

23:
@ChickenLoverTrin

24-O: @2ndTink Ember

25-O: @BigBlueHen53 Wisconsin-Twenty-Five-Oh/Connie

26-O: @Patiocoturnix

27-O: @Pampered chicken girl

28-O: @NagemTX

Only read on if you want to know about this little experiment:
Odoban is used in hospitals, hatcheries, etc. to kill germs, viruses, bacteria, etc. Herpes as well as about every other virus is listed as being killed by proper use of this product. Marek's is considered a herpes virus. Odoban's instructions to kill this and all viruses is to mix 5 oz of Odoban in 1 gallon of water and leave it on for 60 seconds. They do not discuss eggs, nor does anyone that a few of us could find. Thus, this experiment to see if (1) can eggs soaked in Odoban survive, and (2) would the Odoban soak have removed the bloom? If so, will those disinfected eggs now be vulnerable to germs and die?

Marek's spreads via dander and dust from the chicken. A hen who carries or has the Marek's virus could get dust/dander on her eggs. We stick those in an incubator as is, and chicks hatch most likely touching the shells, and could feasibly pick up Marek's within seconds of hatching. The odds are this wouldn't happen, but who wants to take the chance? Disinfecting the eggs isn't enough. The product used has to be strong enough to kill the herpes virus.

I have 10 of my silkie's eggs. Five of them were soaked for 60 seconds in Odoban mixed to the 5oz in 1-gallon water ratio. I then quickly ran them under the faucet and set on paper towels to dry. They along with the other unsoaked 5 were put in the Brinsea incubator a distance apart. They were set at 7:00 p.m. CST. The 18 shipped eggs were set at 8:30 p.m. in the NR360.

Getting ready
View attachment 3720879

All set
View attachment 3720888

Thank you!
I would love to name one of your silkies Marilyn (f) and Monroe (m)

Back
Top Bottom