Silky hatch-along and OdoBan on eggs experiment

Pics
Absolutely! I feel like it's more magical (and obviously more natural), and the bond between mom and chick(s) is amazing to witness. I'm so grateful I got to witness it
It is a beautiful thing until in 6 weeks they want to be broody again and you've got a dozen babies to take care of. That broke me of it lol.

It is a beautiful thing until in 6 weeks they want to be broody again and you've got a dozen babies to take care of. That broke me of it lol.

So far my star girl has gone broody thrice in the span of less than a year. The first time she was young and quit, the second time she raised 3 beautiful chicks from adopted eggs, and the third time she brooded, raised, and after a week or so co-raised 13 beautiful chicks. I'm still so enamored by broodies. Will it be hard to give away almost all her brood(s)? Yes. But I'm interested in hatching either way, and a broody will do a much better job than me. Plus, you can always break one, but you can't make one. 10 years of complete broody drought are enough for me! I'm sooo appreciative of my broody girls

Silkies? It's all about the broody in them.
My silkies aren't my main broodies actually 🤣 Probably has to do with the fact I've only fairly recently been able to get them again. My last broodies I let hatch anything were a Sussex and a Sussex cross. And my current ones are Barnevelders, which I feel like I read somewhere were not known for going broody but still I've got two 😅

So far my star girl has gone broody thrice in the span of less than a year. The first time she was young and quit, the second time she raised 3 beautiful chicks from adopted eggs, and the third time she brooded, raised, and after a week or so co-raised 13 beautiful chicks. I'm still so enamored by broodies. Will it be hard to give away almost all her brood(s)? Yes. But I'm interested in hatching either way, and a broody will do a much better job than me. Plus, you can always break one, but you can't make one. 10 years of complete broody drought are enough for me! I'm sooo appreciative of my broody girls
I did let mine raise them the first year (starting 7 yrs ago). Then two years later after giving away a lot of roos, I bought silkie eggs on eBay and gave them to a hen who raised them up. Most times they'd cut them off at 8-10 weeks, but I had one mom who kept them until they were darned near adults.

We went on like this for a few years, but then I had to sell chicks, and pulling them away from mom seemed so mean. I let them keep just one a couple of times. Then the one who abandoned them at 6 weeks just to go be broody again just ticked me off.

I kept getting asked for chicks so bought an incubator and started hatching. That seemed so much easier. Now a few years later, it is just what we do, incubate, keep what we want, sell what we don't.

Don't leave me alone! I'm not converted yet, just having my arm twisted!

I Didnt Do It Small Business GIF by Aurora Consulting - SBA EIDL Experts

I'll grow it out. We'll see if it's a rooster or hen. If rooster, I'll have to sell it. If hen, yep, good idea!
This is hilarious!

Having options is always a good thing!

I did let mine raise them the first year (starting 7 yrs ago). Then two years later after giving away a lot of roos, I bought silkie eggs on eBay and gave them to a hen who raised them up. Most times they'd cut them off at 8-10 weeks, but I had one mom who kept them until they were darned near adults.

We went on like this for a few years, but then I had to sell chicks, and pulling them away from mom seemed so mean. I let them keep just one a couple of times. Then the one who abandoned them at 6 weeks just to go be broody again just ticked me off.

I kept getting asked for chicks so bought an incubator and started hatching. That seemed so much easier. Now a few years later, it is just what we do, incubate, keep what we want, sell what we don't.

Ah, I see. Separating mom from chick(s) can be hard, yes. I can see why you'd opt for the incubator. I personally don't mind if the moms kick the chicks out at 6 weeks, whenever they feel like their work is done, I thank them and get the babies out (if needed). In her first successful brood, I had to introduce her sister back into the pen, and she was not kind to them. Because of this, I had to separate them at around 5 weeks. They weren't too happy, but they didn't complain for long either. Mom's work was done, she was just allowing them to stay close. This time round, the sister was involved, and if my quick calculations are correct, in a couple of weeks they'll be 12 weeks old. Just this Thursday, they've started to "wean" them

One of the little silkie chicks was playing with a pine shaving and one of the big chicks wanted it. The silkie kept it and made it's wishes well known. No storms in our forecast so I have a day or two to get the generator finished setup. I want one of my 14'x16' coops turned into an apt complex for 6 broody silkie hens where each hen has a private run out the side like a horse stable is made. I have 2 coops like this so there is room for a dozen hens. There is room in the inside to keep them out of bad weather if broody or recuperating from raising a room full of kids.

Back
Top Bottom