Silver laced Wyandotte Roo and Gold laced Wyandotte hen offspring?

I see this term often but what, exactly does it mean “silver split to gold”? (Sorry if that seems like a dumb question but how else are we to learn!? 😝)
Silver split to gold: they have one silver gene and one gold gene. Because silver is the dominant gene they are look silver, but because they also have a gold gene they can give that gene to their own chicks.

People use it for other dominant/recessive pairs, too. So for example a black split to lavender is a chicken that looks black, but has one copy of the recessive lavender gene. Two lavender genes would make a lavender chicken, but just one lavender gene does not.

As regards silver being dominant: when the chicks grow their first feathers, they look silver, and you can't even tell that they are carrying gold. As they grow up, the "silver" may look a bit yellowish, and they can sometimes have patches of red or gold in their shoulder & wing areas.

Silver split to gold: they have one silver gene and one gold gene. Because silver is the dominant gene they are look silver, but because they also have a gold gene they can give that gene to their own chicks.

People use it for other dominant/recessive pairs, too. So for example a black split to lavender is a chicken that looks black, but has one copy of the recessive lavender gene. Two lavender genes would make a lavender chicken, but just one lavender gene does not.

As regards silver being dominant: when the chicks grow their first feathers, they look silver, and you can't even tell that they are carrying gold. As they grow up, the "silver" may look a bit yellowish, and they can sometimes have patches of red or gold in their shoulder & wing areas.
Omg this is literally the BEST chicken genetics explanation I have gotten in the 2 years I’ve been delving into the chicken world!! Thank you so so so much!! I really appreciate it!

Omg this is literally the BEST chicken genetics explanation I have gotten in the 2 years I’ve been delving into the chicken world!! Thank you so so so much!! I really appreciate it!
I'm glad I was able to help :)

We have some good genetics people on this forum, so hopefully you can find other helpful posts too.

Back
Top Bottom