Single Duckling

ducko

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2021
Hello, I recently adopted a new duckling by itself as there aren't any more other ducklings left. I feel very cruel having just one duckling and I'm scared of it getting lonely as I got him when he was 1 and a half week old. I'm extremely scared that it will get lonely but I'm not in the situation to get another duck right now. I try to spend as much time as I can with it but it seems to still be quite scared of human interaction. It's been 2 days and it has let me pet it and hand feed it but gets very scared and mad when I pick it up. I'm wondering if I should let it in the house so it can interact with us humans? It's a call duck! Any help is appreciated thank you!

Also can a duckling this old still imprint on me? It's almost 2 weeks old now!

Imprinting is different than bonding. Your duckling can surely bond with you.
Make sure it has a mirror and a stuffed animal in its enclosure so that it doesn't get too lonely when you're not available. Might want to invest in duck diapers if you're keeping it as a house duck.
I'm a firm believer that poultry do better with another one in the flock of their own kind. So, I'm still going to suggest for you to find it another duckling to hang with when you're not available.

Thank you all dearly for the tips and tricks. Does bonding mean that my duck will follow me around and like me still? I just want it to be less scared of humans :(
Probably less scared but it might not be SUPER friendly. I do think you should get him a buddy though. It would be best for him as if he is alone all his life he may get depressed. :(

Is it possible.. for a duckling to imprint on a mirror haha! It really likes the mirror and enjoys sitting in front of it!
It likes the mirror because its sees another duckling it doesn't realize it's a reflection. Ducks imprint soon after hatch.
It will go through periods where its scared of everything, but as long as you're consistent and calm it will come to trust you.

Last edited:
Do you think it can still imprint on me at this age? I asked the person I got the duckling from and they said it can. I'm planning on bringing it inside the house today to let it waddle around.
I don't know how much inside time you are going to do with your duckling, but be sure he's not walking on slick flooring. Carpeting or put towels down so he has traction. It can cause leg issues if he is on hard surfaces where he doesn't have traction.

Ah yes! I'm debating that but I don't think I can right now :( I spent most of my day with the duckling but it likes to sit in its little corner beside the little water bucket we got it! I also hand feed it and pet it a lot hopefully to gain its trust!

Back
Top Bottom