Small egg in yard???

It looks like an owl's egg. Owl eggs are almost perfectly round like that. In Western Washington, we have quite a few species of owls most commonly are the Barred and Barn owls so it's likely one of those. There is a rarer chance that it could be from a Great Horned, Western Screech, or Spotted owl, but all are in the area. They start laying toward the end of January to beginning of February for spring hatching, so it's a little early but not out of the realm of possibility. I did a Google search and your egg is pretty similar to that of the Barred Owl. I've attached a picture from the Google search below for your reference. I hope this helps!

Attachments

• a141789e217c3821b56e4b77b7f3788a.jpg
    a141789e217c3821b56e4b77b7f3788a.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 4
I took the egg out of the incubator today to candle it, and the yolk is frozen!? When I turned it, I heard a sound that sounded like there were little pieces of gravel in it. I candled it and saw some little pieces!? What in the heck is this!? I will break it open later today and post pics.
Sounds like everything that was inside it has dried up and rattling around in there. I think you're lucky it dried up rather than getting full of bacteria and exploding inside your incubator and covering your incubator with rotten smelly egg. Thats what usually happens to bad eggs if not removed in time.

Back
Top Bottom