Sneezing, Gurgling Respirations, Mouth-Breathing, Crusted Eyes

My comment wasn't just directed at you, perolane. I just think you cannot say for certain, yup, your bird has mycoplasmosis/CRD or infectious bronchitis or this or that, if there are overlapping symptoms for several diseases. I always get strung up for saying cull for this stuff, but if you look at people who have been long time breeders of quality stock, they do not treat anything of this sort, ever.

Jill, glad you took your bird to the vet. Hopefully, he/she has experience with avian species and can help you with this. Let us know what happens. Sometimes, you do all you can do, practice biosecurity and still, something sneaks into your flock. All you can do is the best you can do. Hopefully, it will be just a temporary setback for you.

Sadly, our little gal died before we got her to the vet.
sad.png

We took her in to be examined anyway and we had them send her to the state lab for a post mortem. Our vet also consulted the state vet over the phone. He said he suspected mycoplasm, but of course, they wouldn't know for sure until they'd completed the examination. He suggested that we be prepared for the possibility of "quarantining and depopulating" our flock. The cost of the post mortem is $95--more than we paid for the chickens. But I don't want to cull the others unless it's really necessary, and if we can get expert, targeted advice on how to proceed (regardless of diagnosis) it will be money well spent.

You can bet I will never let another chicken on my property until it's been thoroughly scrutinized, sanitized and authorized!

I am having a similar issue. I am hoping not to have to cull my entire flock but if it come to that then I'll have to start over. My question is: How do I clean the coop to prepare it for a new flock...bleach?

Back
Top Bottom