So, IF my duck goes broody?

Mar 26, 2020
Southern Vermont
I have 2 pekin, 2 rouen, and 3 runner hens, one if the runners last year allegedly went broody and hatched out 13 ducklings, i didn't buy the runners until summer but that was the story. If one of them does it again what are my options? Can i oust her from the nest and take the eggs to prevent hatching? If she is sitting on only a couple and I decided to see what happens, what should i look out for and are there things I should do to help accommodate her? If she sticks with it and hatches some should I just let her raise them? Do i take them away immediately? Play it by ear? I only have one drake, he's a pretty gentle fellow, never had any competition so I hope he stays this way.

I have 2 pekin, 2 rouen, and 3 runner hens, one if the runners last year allegedly went broody and hatched out 13 ducklings, i didn't buy the runners until summer but that was the story. If one of them does it again what are my options? Can i oust her from the nest and take the eggs to prevent hatching? If she is sitting on only a couple and I decided to see what happens, what should i look out for and are there things I should do to help accommodate her? If she sticks with it and hatches some should I just let her raise them? Do i take them away immediately? Play it by ear? I only have one drake, he's a pretty gentle fellow, never had any competition so I hope he stays this way.
I would let her raise a small nest . (6eggs?) then if you get 1 drake you can keep it. Good Luck ~ Cassie

Back
Top Bottom