So what are your Christmas dinner plans/traditions?

We used to do a huge Christmas, but stopped it years ago. I actually prefer what we do now.

We get up (earlier than I'd like - kids, ya know) and start the coffee. We then open stockings and presents while sipping coffee. Then we have a nice breakfast. Toward early afternoon, we head over to my mom's house to spend the day with family. We have a simple lunch - usually a choice between ham or turkey sandwiches with a choice of cheese and additions. I typically make homemade potato salad to go with it. Dessert is a spread of all the Christmas goodies we've been baking to give to others and more coffee.

It's simple and quiet and no-fuss. And, I like it that way!

Kinnip, wow, I really thought you were anatomically speaking... I was wondering what I missed the last time I was walking through Boston Common.

we used to all make the trip to my grandparents house. Then they got older and we would head to my aunts house for dinner, drinks and presents.

Since my grandmother died we had just been going to my moms and having dinner etc there after opening gifts at home in the am.
My grandfather passed away recently. And I really thought that I wouldnt see my aunts ever again. One aunt was particulary cruel during the funeral arrangement and such. well. Other aunt is trying to hold the family together.

So this year my dh and daughter and I will be opening gifts at home. Then going to my aunts for "dinner" and hopefully drinks. I might just bring my own bottle. And opening gifts.

Next weekend my dh, daughter and I are going to my MILs for Chanuka dinner and sadly no drinks, although I might drink before we leave for her house and might even hide a bottle in the truck.

Thanks everybody!
When I was little the night seemed so magical!
We also went to midnight mass!
Bobalky,
The bread dough I use is the Pillsbury hot roll mix, any bread dough will do!
I roll it into tiny balls about the size of a good size marble. Then bake until golden, bake them the day before serving. then place in a bowl when completely cooled. I put a lid on but you do not need to. The balls will get a bit bigger, but you want them to be bit size a bit smaller then the donut hole balls, no bigger then a ping pong!
Then the next day you fry the sauerkraut, drain it and then frt it in butter, can add sauteed onions if you like! Then when the kraut is done to your liking, boil water, put the bread ball into a colander and pour the boiling water over then, making sure to drain the water off fast. then add bread balls to the kraut and warm thru!
I will try to get the soup recipe after work!
Brenda

Quote:
I didn't realize that your step-daughter was so sick. I must have missed that thread while I was away. I'm so sorry. She will be in my prayers for sure.

Sending you hugs and you will be thought of here on Christmas. Sorry you don't live close enough to come spend it with my family. You sure would be more than welcome and you most definitely would not be lonely! Between my sisters families and my own, we have 17 kids and when we get together it is anything BUT lonely!
big_smile.png

hugs.gif

We have one whacky "tradition".
gig.gif

My "family" consists of the parents and two brothers, I'm married to one brother. Anywhoo - one year I can't remember who but one of the brothers wives (could have been me!
gig.gif
) received a HIDEOUS candle holder from a grandparent (garage sale we think) anyway, since that Christmas many years ago - that candleholder has passed around between households, as a cleverly disguised Christmas gift. (HUGE boxes, or odd shaped gifts etc.)

This year
lau.gif
thank goodness its not coming to us, MIL is passing it to a cousin with instructions on how to mail it to BIL next year for Christmas.. nothing like getting the rest of the family in on the deal.
gig.gif

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!

Last edited:
It will just be us this year. My stepfather didn't feel like traveling since my mother died just a month ago. I am fixing my usual prime rib, garlic mashed potatoes, mushrooms, green bean casserole and homemade cherry cheesecake. In the morning I will fix eggs, bacon, sausage and biscuits.

The kids get to open one gift on Christmas Eve, which they have already done, too quickly, lol. Also, now that the kids are older, we usually just open the gifts when everyone gets up, buy my "adoptive" daughter's twin 4 year old brother and sister are here tonight so we are doing the whole Santa thing. It's been a couple years so I'm really enjoying it and looking forward to the morning and little ones again.

I love Christmas
smile.png

Our silly traditions are "The Christmas Pickle"...LOL....its a little green pickle ornament..that i hide every year in the tree..and the one who finds it gets an extra gift..AND is supposed to have good luck the coming year...its a German tradition...(i have no German in me at all though...
hu.gif
..)..but its just fun to do!...
tongue.png
....and we also do "The Peppermint Pig"..its a pink peppermint candy pig..it comes with a little velvet bag..and a tiny hammer...and you have to pass it around to each person and they have to say what they are thankful for this year...and then give the pig a whack with the hammer..(the pig is in the velvet bag)..and then when we all say what we are thankful for, we all share some of the pig.....its what we look forward to each year when we all get together.....that and the spiked punch..
tongue.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom