Space for ducks

So the dog pen has a cement floor. Do I still do the hardware cloth skirt around it? I thought I read somewhere that I should. Is that correct?

So the dog pen has a cement floor. Do I still do the hardware cloth skirt around it? I thought I read somewhere that I should. Is that correct?
I'm not sure how an animal could dig under it and somehow pull the chain link away far enough to get inside. You'd have to look at that possibility. I think they might be able to if they dug a big enough hole. Maybe it depends on how tight the fence is.

pen has a cement floor. Do I still do the hardware cloth skirt around it? I thought I read somewhere t

If the floor is made out of concrete no animal is going to be able to break through that, you just don't want them digging under the wire and getting into their pen. Could you post some pictures?

I'm not sure how an animal could dig under it and somehow pull the chain link away far enough to get inside. You'd have to look at that possibility. I think they might be able to if they dug a big enough hole. Maybe it depends on how tight the fence is.

Yes, How is the wire connected at the bottom?, I could definitely see a raccoon pulling the wire out and sneaking underneath.

My runs are all chain link dog pens with chain link across the tops. We built support for the chain link on top using posts or top rails cut to size and connected with standard chain link hardware and connectors we bought at the local DIY store. Each run encloses a coop that the birds go into every night that is closed up tight, so in the event something did get in, which (knock wood) so far hasn't happened in 10 years, they couldn't get to the birds. If I had mink/weasels in the area the runs would would definitely have to be lined with hardware cloth, or surrounded with electric fence or electric net. We do have fox and coyote and many birds of prey, and of course the occasional neighborhood dog, which is the only predator I've ever lost a chicken to. If the runs are 6 feet tall, unless you are tall, you will be able to walk in after the cover is on and not have to crouch. Best of luck to you.

Hello. So I need to prepare my outside space for my ducklings. I have one area and then I also have an old dog pen area. I’m not sure which would be better. Which would be easier to keep predators out? I know I am going to have to do work either way. What are y’all’s thoughts? And threw a picture of my quackers in there.
I'd go with the run if you cover it and give it a secure coop or duck house, like the others said. I'd expand it in the future though because ducks (from my own experience) will turn that into a mud pit easily. Ducks poop builds up easily on flat surfaces and it'll need to be shoveled often in the run with a cement floor.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom