Splash X paint colors

chicksinthailand

Chirping
Aug 26, 2021
Hello, I have a splash silkie rooster, and I want to breed him to my satin (polish X silkie) paint hen. Does anyone know what colors I might expect from that cross?

I would expect about half the offspring to be blue, and the others to be paints but with blue instead of black.

(That's based on "paint" being a black chicken with one copy of the gene for Dominant White, and "splash" being a black chicken with two copies of the blue gene. If I am wrong about what genes they have, then of course I will be wrong about the results too.)

You were asking about colors, but I'll add:
About half the chicks will have silkie-type feathers, while the other half will have satin-type feathers. Each feather type should come in both sets of colors, if you hatch enough chicks.

I would expect about half the offspring to be blue, and the others to be paints but with blue instead of black.

(That's based on "paint" being a black chicken with one copy of the gene for Dominant White, and "splash" being a black chicken with two copies of the blue gene. If I am wrong about what genes they have, then of course I will be wrong about the results too.)
Sounds correct to me.

You'll also get some with dark skin and extra toes, (depending on what genes the mix has) and all should have crests

You'll also get some with dark skin and extra toes, (depending on what genes the mix has) and all should have crests

With one parent being a Silkie, and the other a half-Silkie, I would expect dark skin on at least half and maybe all of them (depending on whether the half-Silkie has light skin or dark), and extra toes on most or all of them.

With one parent being a Silkie, and the other a half-Silkie, I would expect dark skin on at least half and maybe all of them (depending on whether the half-Silkie has light skin or dark), and extra toes on most or all of them.
Yeah, that's more what I meant. If the satin has other silkied traits, then to offspring have a better chance inheriting them than if the satin doesn't

Thank you all for the replies. I'm looking forward to seeing what a blue paint will look like! My satin paint hen has the extra toes and dark skin, and she has some leg feathering as well, so I guess the chicks will have those traits.
Thanks again, all!

Back
Top Bottom