Spraying Muscovy eggs

mshap7

Chirping
Aug 31, 2020
First time egg mama here, I’m such a worrier and I’ve had tons of questions! I read spraying Muscovy eggs after day 10 is good for them. So, lacking a spray bottle at home, I rinsed out a hair detangler bottle and sprayed the eggs once each. I didn’t realize until after it still smelled a bit like detangler. Did I kill the babies???

I'm a guy, so I'm of any idea what in the world a detangler is, and what ingredients it's composed of.

Could you post a picture of the ingredients on the bottle?

I think many detanglers have some kind of oils and/or fatty alcohols in them to help combs slip through...I'd primarily be concerned that residual oils/fatty alcohols might coat the egg (over the bloom) and prevent proper oxygen and moisture exchange. Since you rinsed the bottle out, the amount of oil in the water you sprayed should be minimal. You may actually just be smelling fragrance left in the bottle, since it can really last in plastic. I doubt the spraying - once - adversely affected your eggs.

I follow @pete55's recommendations for misting and cooling waterfowl eggs - he provides more info in this thread. Best wishes for a great hatch!

ETA: and I'd get a clean, new, sprayer to use for misting eggs 🙂

Last edited:
I think many detanglers have some kind of oils and/or fatty alcohols in them to help combs slip through...I'd primarily be concerned that residual oils/fatty alcohols might coat the egg (over the bloom) and prevent proper oxygen and moisture exchange. Since you rinsed the bottle out, the amount of oil in the water you sprayed should be minimal. You may actually just be smelling fragrance left in the bottle, since it can really last in plastic. I doubt the spraying - once - adversely affected your eggs.

I follow @pete55's recommendations for misting and cooling waterfowl eggs - he provides more info in this thread. Best wishes for a great hatch!

ETA: and I'd get a clean, new, sprayer to use for misting eggs 🙂
Thank you so much!!

I'm a guy, so I'm of any idea what in the world a detangler is, and what ingredients it's composed of.

Could you post a picture of the ingredients on the bottle?
Sorry the font is a little small...

Attachments

• C1788C9F-237A-43CD-B5A3-11FBF906830B.jpeg
    C1788C9F-237A-43CD-B5A3-11FBF906830B.jpeg
    473.3 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom