amynw

Songster
Apr 25, 2020
Hello everyone. We have 3 pet geese, and recently I kept hearing a squeak every so often. Sounded just like a squeaky toy noise. I finally figured out today where the noise was coming from, one of my male geese. I watched him for around an hour. He still honks like the others, but will occasionally let out this squeak. Does anyone know what this is? He seems okay otherwise. Is he sick? Is this just a habit he picked up? Any answers are appreciated . They hatched in April.

Could you post a video of him making the noise?
Yes I can sure try. I had to go to work so it will be a few hours. It's not a long drawn out squeak. It sounds just like when you squeeze a squeaky toy one quick time.

The more I read, has me thinking worms may be the cause. I keep seeing safeguard for goats on this site being used for geese. Should I do this?

He either got something stuck in his throat or a little bit of feed powder in his nares. Leave him be, and by tomorrow it should have subsided. Let us know if it hasnt.

My duck started doing the VERY SAME THING. She had some issues with opening her mouth and sort of coughing 3 days ago and I brought her in and watched her and the open mouth breathing went away but now she has this high pitched squeak for the past few days. Should I try to buy some antibiotics? If so, what kind and how much? She has a normal appetite but has not been getting in her pool very much. She is a only duck that I keep inside at night. She lost her brother and Mother last year and I don't want anything to happen to her.

My duck started doing the VERY SAME THING. She had some issues with opening her mouth and sort of coughing 3 days ago and I brought her in and watched her and the open mouth breathing went away but now she has this high pitched squeak for the past few days. Should I try to buy some antibiotics? If so, what kind and how much? She has a normal appetite but has not been getting in her pool very much. She is a only duck that I keep inside at night. She lost her brother and Mother last year and I don't want anything to happen to her.

If you post a thread over on the duck forum, I, or another member, can help you there, so we don't hijack the OP's thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/ducks.42/post-thread

If you could provide a video of the duck coughing, that may be helpful

I would also like to add, after monitoring him all evening, he has VERY watery poop. Almost clear, with flecks of green. You can hear when he poops. I got him to eat some fruit cups this evening. He does seem to be eating and drinking as normal. Not particularly acting sick, hes in the pond with his siblings right now. Hes just not as "big" acting as he usually is

I would also like to add, after monitoring him all evening, he has VERY watery poop. Almost clear, with flecks of green. You can hear when he poops. I got him to eat some fruit cups this evening. He does seem to be eating and drinking as normal. Not particularly acting sick, hes in the pond with his siblings right now. Hes just not as "big" acting as he usually is

If he did have some sort of obstruction, acting a little off, would be normal. Geese are very resilient birds, and rarley come down with diseases if that's your concern. I've had this happen to several geese here, and after a few days they clear up fine. If he's still acting off in a day or two, you can post back here, and we can consider other possibilities.

Back
Top Bottom