Starting layers

LReardon

Chirping
May 25, 2017
Conklin, NY
Ok, I have five possible layers...2 RIR, 2 Plymouth Rock, and one Barred Rock. These are my first eggs, one a day since Monday from the left. Same chicken? Huge difference in them!

Attachments

• IMG_7163.jpg
    IMG_7163.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 10
Ok, I have five possible layers...2 RIR, 2 Plymouth Rock, and one Barred Rock. These are my first eggs, one a day since Monday from the left. Same chicken? Huge difference in them!

nice, these are mine, missing 6, gave two back to the chickens and ate four, back row is my first layer, no idea what she is other then red, second row this lady who I think is a cooper Moran? started then took a day off and produced the large one at the end, front row belongs to a fawn colored hen and she lays when she feels like it, no schedule for her but she has laid two in the same day. had one lay a small yellow egg in the dirt and nothing since. been at it for a week so pretty happy with the results. the first row that is all from the same chicken featuring the first egg she layed (he ate them out of order), interesting how they change colors. center eggs she is producing double yolks. all this just started a a week ago. I watch the coop to see who goes in the nest box, and I am on it the moment they leave the nest, when i open the box the layer usually comes back to the nest and I praise her and give her a small treat.

Last edited:
I can't see your picture! Is it just me!?
The eggs are always there before I get home from work. Yesterday I came home at lunch to try and see what time they are laying....no egg then, but there by 4:15.

Definitely more than one, hard to tell as the one is wet and the big one may be a double yolker and that changes shell shape.
Shell shape usually is pretty consistent, but color can change a bit.

One way to tell for sure who is laying ans who is not, butt check:
Vent Appearance:
Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying.

Pelvic Points, feel for the 2 bony points(pelvic bones F-F) on either side of vent:
Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.
(Spacing is relative with chickens size and humans finger size.)
1020991-4bfd98f69b332a540b03831ac1f9b25f.jpg

Definitely more than one, hard to tell as the one is wet and the big one may be a double yolker and that changes shell shape.
Shell shape usually is pretty consistent, but color can change a bit.

One way to tell for sure who is laying ans who is not, butt check:
Vent Appearance:
Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying.

Pelvic Points, feel for the 2 bony points(pelvic bones F-F) on either side of vent:
Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.
(Spacing is relative with chickens size and humans finger size.)
1020991-4bfd98f69b332a540b03831ac1f9b25f.jpg
looks like a dinosaur...lol

I can't see your picture! Is it just me!?
The eggs are always there before I get home from work. Yesterday I came home at lunch to try and see what time they are laying....no egg then, but there by 4:15.
There's an article I read the other day that talked about signs that someone is laying. It might help you narrow it down. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chickens-getting-ready-to-lay.72752/
I was surprised find a blue egg one day as my eggers are much younger than the others, but then after reading this I noticed that of my 4 eggers the one had a much redder comb and waddle than the others. Also the squatting... my younger birds run away, the laying birds squat down when I reach for them.

Back
Top Bottom