Sudden respiratory issue in flock

robinwhiskers

Songster
Aug 13, 2017
My chickens have always been overall healthy (7 are almost 4 years old and 2 are almost 2 years old). Anyway long story short a MASSIVE tree fell right on our coop a few months ago but miraculously all survived and were unhurt, even the roo who was pinned beneath the coop walls covered in broken glass. Anyway they've been in a temporary coop and run built that same day for a few months, which is technically too small for them but we needed a coop ASAP. I'm just glad they survived that. Anyway yesterday I go to care for them and the roo was breathing loud through his nostrils. I took a mental note and then this morning I go out and almost all of them are breathing very congested through their noses and seemed sluggish. I got Vetrx and put it in the water and put the residue on some of their beaks and necks this afternoon and they seem to be acting normal now and eating and drinking but still breathing not good especially not the rooster. And a few have nasal discharge I think and blackish scabs on their combs they didn't have this afternoon that appears to be maybe dried blood? We just rebuilt their old run the day this occured so hopefully tomorrow I will move them back into the space they originally had. This post is very jumbled but I am very nervous about this especially because tomorrow night I leave on a trip until Friday and my family members instead of me will care for the chickens. A friend has penicillin I can add to their water as an antibiotic, should I see if I can get that tomorrow? I have no prior experience with respiratory issues. I am glad their combs are bright and red besides the dark spots on a few of them and that they are eating and drinking and seem to act fine. Even the roo who is the worst is still eating and feisty although I think he is walking sort of stiffly. Please help if you can

Anyway yesterday I go to care for them and the roo was breathing loud through his nostrils. I took a mental note and then this morning I go out and almost all of them are breathing very congested through their noses and seemed sluggish.

I got Vetrx and put it in the water and put the residue on some of their beaks and necks this afternoon and they seem to be acting normal now and eating and drinking but still breathing not good especially not the rooster. And a few have nasal discharge I think and blackish scabs on their combs they didn't have this afternoon that appears to be maybe dried blood?
Please post some photos of the birds and their scabs.

How much ventilation is in the smaller coop. Have you noticed any mold, a heavy ammonia smell inside, etc.?

Have you added any new birds within the last 30 days?

If your flock hasnt had any prior respiratory disease symptoms and havnt added any new birds to your existing flock, I suspect it's an environmental issue.
Mold/fungus, ammonia fumes from soiled bedding as mentioned can be causes. Also pollen (from the tree that fell), dust from dust bathing, feed dust, pesticide use, dander build up inside the smaller coop. Most of these issues can be corrected.

Okay it stinks this happened literally right before moving them. I should be able to put them back in their original space today. I will have to find something to use as a makeshift coop but they do have their run

They are more sluggish this morning but it may be because they slept in their little coop last night. Going to move them finally today. Should this clear up itself with them in the larger enclosure? This happens all when I am leaving for almost a week.

They are more sluggish this morning but it may be because they slept in their little coop last night. Going to move them finally today. Should this clear up itself with them in the larger enclosure? This happens all when I am leaving for almost a week.
There's no telling if it'll clear up or not since there's nothing definitive as to what is causing symptoms. A larger enclosure may help, only time will tell.

Of course, things always happen when going away for awhile, never fails. :rolleyes:

You have received good info so far from others. If there is no bubbles in eyes, or swollen eyelids/faces, I would not use antibiotics. Penicillin will not treat respiratory diseases anyways, but mycoplasma and coryza can respond to tylosin and others.

Just adding my two cents here. Any animal, no matter whether horses, cows, chickens or dogs, are much healthier when kept in a clean environment. They all produce prolific amounts of poop, and it's a big chore to keep up with it and removing it each day. But the health of your animals really benefits.

You do, too. Breathing in that ammonia and bacteria is also bad for humans.

Ventilation is as important as food and water. Improper ventilation can be deadly unhealthy. Get out the tools and cut some holes in that coop.

Back
Top Bottom