Tylerblockbuster

Songster
Jan 31, 2019
So a hen I have had a secret stash of eggs so you can probably see how I got caught off gaurd by the new babies. As this is only my second batch of chicks ever hatched by the mom I need some advice because i brought them inside and my mom hates the smell, and it gets to be 30 at night in the coop. She is a silkie if that helps at all

Attachments

• 20201029_105706.jpg
    20201029_105706.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 25
If you have a garage or shed and the chooks are enclosed, you could maybe move them there, I find hot water bottles help if it's too cold, but you have to remember to remove them when they cool because you don't want a frozen water bottle!

The mother will take care of them. All you have to do is provide shelter (a separate area where no other chickens can get to them), chick food and water. Mom eats chick food also right now (No need for extra calcium as she’s not laying, and the extra protein will do her good). With broody chicks you almost never have to worry about pasty butt or coccidiosis... and mom will keep everyone warm. Broody chicks are way tougher than hatchery chicks; you’ll see, it’s amazing.

One of the eggs was about to hatch and was pushing out of the egg. Then the mom got off of it for 1 to 3 hours. I put the egg back under her but is it probably dead?

I just put the baby chicks outside in the normal non insulated chicken coop. They are separated with the mom but theres a small issue. The mom is to small to keep all the babies underneath her and it will get below 20 tonight, what can I do to make sure they dont get too cold

Its important to keep the mamma warm. She does not have to be boiling, but she needs to be protected. I'm sorry you Mom hates the smell, is there nowhere else the hen can go?

Back
Top Bottom