Swedish Flower Hen Thread

I am having a problem with my sweet babies:( They are inside in a tote right now because they are small and coop and run isn't done. I take very good care of them and clean ALOT. I have noticed today when I open the tote they are damp. Why? Their water in the enclosed tote? I noticed moisture on the side of the tote where their food and water are. I took them outside to play for a couple of hours while I did yeard work and they all were happy and acting fine. I have small holes in the tote top but maybe I need more...

I am having a problem with my sweet babies:( They are inside in a tote right now because they are small and coop and run isn't done. I take very good care of them and clean ALOT. I have noticed today when I open the tote they are damp. Why? Their water in the enclosed tote? I noticed moisture on the side of the tote where their food and water are. I took them outside to play for a couple of hours while I did yeard work and they all were happy and acting fine. I have small holes in the tote top but maybe I need more...

Mtadkins5, can you post a photo of your brooder? It definitely sounds like you need more ventilation. Could you leave the cover off completely or do they need protection from other pets? If they need protection from your other pets, consider cutting out part of the cover and replacing it with screen or hardware cloth or chicken wire.

You absolutely need more ventilation! Humidity like that will quickly make your babies ill with respiratory problems. I have a wire top on my brooder. Also, it sounds like they may be a bit crowded if they created that much moisture in one night. They grow very quickly and you should have a brooder big enough for them to flap their wings and move about without bumping into each other.

for sure chicks need ample ventilation. you just don't want drafts.

this is what I built and it works quite well for chicks and as a hospital cage and quarantine when needed...

I'll be building more later this summer for sale as well, once I get some breeding pens going.

Thank you for your help! I am learning as I go. These are my first chickens. I did add alot more holes and put the top on an angle. I have to have something on top bc they get out. I had plans of day olds since my coop and run are not quiet done but ended up with 4-6 week olds. The coop had bee delayed bc of all the rain and hubby is only home on weekends to work on it. No more than two weekends left. I might need to go buy a bigger tote though:( The breeder that I got them from had them outside so she said I didn't need a light. I have a light and stuff bc I had planned on younger ones but I don't have it on them. I know my house is cooler so should I put a light on them. I have red 125 and 250 bulbs. I take them outside for a couple hours a day. They seem very healthy and happy. Can you plz tell me what to look for respiratory problems? Update after watching them ALOT I think I have 3 males. I know nothing about chickens but these 3 just act different. CAn you tell me what age I will know for sure?

You can usually determine age by comb and wattle growth around 7 weeks. The comb and wattles of males will be larger and deeper red while those of the pullets will be smaller and pink.

Chicks that age need about 1 square foot each at night, and will prefer a little run or more freedom during the day. A little tote is fine for traveling, but not so much for living. It would be like you and some of your friends trying to live in a car.

At 4-6 weeks of age, as long as the temps aren't staying down in the 50's or 60's, they should be just fine without a light. They'll pile up if they want warmth. Just keep them out of drafts and they'll be fine.

How big is the coop you are building? This is a good link for determining a good size coop and run for your birds.

Welcome aboard - I'm sure you will love having chickens!

Just a reminder, we're working on establishing a SFH Breeder's Club. if anyone's interested, go to sfhusa and sign up. we're looking for input into creating guidelines for what SFH should be, as well as setting up other reference pages and breeder pages for anything SFH. 8)

I had a spam attack last night, so all memberships require approval, so it might take a day or so, depending on when I get to the computer to check it... be patient please.

oh the website is .com

sad.png
I am so sorry to hear this.
X2, very sad

Back
Top Bottom