Swedish Flower Hen Thread

@minihorse927

Nice flock!!
thanks. That flock has been 4 years of hard culling. I feel like this year it paid off. I've seen one sprig on all of my offspring this year. No split wing. So out of roughly 100birds, one sprig. Can't complain.

Last edited:
thanks. That flock has been 4 years of hard culling. I feel like this year it paid off. I've seen one sprig on all of my offspring this year. No split wing. So out of roughly 100birds, one sprig. Can't complain.
Why is sprigs ONLY come on the birds I care about breeding?

This breed has taught me a lot, including that I DO have the ability to cull hard for undesirable traits. Also though, that you have to be committed to a longer term goal. Like you said 4 years. You gotta really love a breed to put in that kind of time!

I know you aren't supposed to ask.... but can you tell me, Do you actually make $ selling? Realistically enough to cover all supplies and your NPIP, anything left for you? I don't need to make $ and feel like when I try it might become a job instead of hobby. But it would be nice to be able to share birds if I went with something that needed preserving, but there again I think you have to love a breed to truly put the effort in to preserve... Thanks for your thoughts.
smile.png

Why is sprigs ONLY come on the birds I care about breeding?

This breed has taught me a lot, including that I DO have the ability to cull hard for undesirable traits. Also though, that you have to be committed to a longer term goal. Like you said 4 years. You gotta really love a breed to put in that kind of time!

I know you aren't supposed to ask.... but can you tell me, Do you actually make $ selling? Realistically enough to cover all supplies and your NPIP, anything left for you? I don't need to make $ and feel like when I try it might become a job instead of hobby. But it would be nice to be able to share birds if I went with something that needed preserving, but there again I think you have to love a breed to truly put the effort in to preserve... Thanks for your thoughts. :)
I can say with enough birds laying/breeding and free ranging as much as possible that my birds do pay their own bills. I have a business who buys every egg we get for eating to resell. I incubate and sell eggs from our breeders and sell chicks too. You have to take into consideration what is frivolous and what is necessary. I am just starting to see them paying for themselves 100% this past year. It takes time to get there and quite a bit of money spent to get here. I work 40hrs a week and then work another 40 on the farm at home. You have to truly love what you're doing to keep it up.

I can say with enough birds laying/breeding and free ranging as much as possible that my birds do pay their own bills. I have a business who buys every egg we get for eating to resell. I incubate and sell eggs from our breeders and sell chicks too. You have to take into consideration what is frivolous and what is necessary. I am just starting to see them paying for themselves 100% this past year. It takes time to get there and quite a bit of money spent to get here. I work 40hrs a week and then work another 40 on the farm at home. You have to truly love what you're doing to keep it up.

If you have the space for enough layers and have relaxed restrictions selling backyard eggs, then you could help alleviate some of the costs for keeping chickens. "Love" is the operative word. We love our small backyard flock of different breeds and with housing, feed, treats, accessories, vet bills, and bldg modifications, we figure each of our girls' eggs cost us between $15 to $20 each egg depending on the breed. We aren't zoned enough for a laying flock so selling eggs at a farmers' markets is out of the question. Plus, most consumers won't pay the full price of what the dozen eggs cost me to produce. Some local authorities have strict health laws about owners selling backyard eggs. I have chickens only because I love our hens who've become our pets that just happen to occasionally bless our household with a dozen fresh eggs from time to time
big_smile.png
-- not to mention the hours of being entertained by chicken TV.

Back
Top Bottom