Swimming babies?

Ardizzone7

Songster
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
Redkey, IN
Does anyone know if you need to teach ducks how to swim when they are little? Is it just instinct for them to know how to swim? Sounds like a silly question, I know, but my ducks won't swim. Was I supposed to "teach them"?
idunno.gif

Hmmm, interesting. What kind of ducks do you have? I have just hatched my first ducks, so I am not an expert. Mine are only 5 days old and I haven't given them access to swimming yet.

I have a buff and a pekin. We gave them access to water at about 2 weeks old. They never really swam though, just played. Sounds silly, but I never made the water deep enough so they couldn't touch the bottom. Was this a bad thing?

I had a duck that didn't care much for swimming. He liked being the lifeguard that walked around the pool checking on everyone. Of course he would go in but not as much as the other. He was a runner duck. I do have pekins and they like the water. They don't spend a whole lot of time in the pool like my runners do. Actually, my pekins are happy sitting next to a bucket (square container) full of water where they can rest there head on edge of it. Figure that one out....... LOL!

ok so maybe I should quit freaking out. I guess my ducks are fine. They do get into the water dishes and dunk their heads and clean themselves. I just hate the mess they make in the dishes!

Quote:
it is fine to make the water deeper than they can touch, because then they will really be swimming. I'm sure they will love it! My ducks love to dive in their water
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom