Swollen ear & swollen eye

Annie Smith

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 6, 2008
We discovered one of our Cuckoo Morans (ear) and one of our Rhode Isld Reds (eye) with what seems to be coagulated yellow puss in the ear & eye...both very enlarged/swollen.

After using warm,wet compresses, we squeezed & gently extracted the gook from the ear. The process took repeated attempts because there was so much to remove & left a hole in the ear about the size of a nickel & 1/2" deep. Area around ear was red and tender to the touch.

The eye was not so large but did leave a hole. Because we had no other medication to apply to the areas, we sprinkled on a granulated antiobiotic that we sometimes use in their drinking water. (Vet & pharmacy were closed). Holes are gradually closing & looking much better.

Can anyone tell me what is going on with these hens, how to treat and/or how to prevent? Please advise. We are very new with raising backyard chickens. Does anyone advise a particular book on chicken ailments? Thanks, Annie

Last edited:
The Chicken Health Handbook By Gail Damerow is a good book for all types of illnesses. I don't know what would have happened to your girls to cause the problems you are having though. You may want to PM threehorses, she has helped alot of people with sick birds on here.

Wishing you luck
fl.gif

welcome-byc.gif

Does the eye and ear have a bad smell to it?
Look up the illnes called Corzay, i probably spelled that wrong.
but it is an infection that is in the eys, makes the eye very swollen, swollen to shut that you can not see the eyeball and it has very fowl smell to it.
it is very contagiuse amongs the birds, so you want to seperated them from any others until treated and you know what it is.

you want to treat the whole flock any ways, becouse if it is anything you want to make sure no one else has what ever it is.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom