Tennessee

Leah, are you coming to the Farmers Market meeting Sunday? There's a couple there that bought some sheep for butchering from our cheese maker. I don't know if they butchered it themselves or had it butchered, but we can find out.

OK, sorry I did not mean alll TN people. But there is alot of bad ones that I have run into when it comes to animal care. One must remember one thing I ran my own pet care buisness for over 10 years in south FL. I have also lived in 5 states along the coast. I have seen more animal negelte here in TN than all combined. I am not talking about people who care and do their best either I do know that differeance. I am also not pointing figures at any here, just stating my experiances since moving to this state. Please forgive I did not mean to ruffle feathers. Just for someone coming from a regulated state to this one is a culter shock when it comes to certain things and animals are very visable of that compare to big cities in other state. But all in all I do love it here very much and try to help those that need it and try to educate those that do not understand, that animals are people too.

Now on the butcher note. I know of 3 butchers for large animals non for chickens. There used to be a traveling butcher for that and might still be but it was not cheap to have your birds done. I will check my source on that to see if the person is still doing it and let you know. Of the 3 butchers I do know only 2 would I take animals too. The third one needs to learn more on cuts. We bought half a cow from a friend at hubbies work. He took it to someone we knew at our local club. This person does alot of deer but is only ok with beef. Hubby grew up on a farm and butcher his own with family, so know how and what should be done. What we got back we were not happy about as most was hamburger and I requested the parts that were turned into hamburger not be. Anyway, we have a freezer full and next time will have it done at another place. OK, this is a novel and it is my first post.
lol.png
Later all have a great weekend.

I lived in Southern California my whole life up until moving here nearly 4 years ago. I worked in humane animal care field out in California.....it is definitely "done differently" here. For better or worse....its just a different culture. It would drive me insane to workin animal care here.

As cybercat said, there are still plenty of "good ones" here. I have the best petsitter....charges $18 per visit to care for my entire animal hoard. And does a good job. In LA it would have been $20 per visit for the first 2 animals and a certain amount for each additional.

Surprisingly, vet care is more expensive HERE than in Los Angeles. Go figure. Maybe that is a contributing factor in the excessive failure to care I see around......

Having a diabetic dog will really hurt your wallet. We ended up getting some pretty cheap insulin but still pricey. He is worth every penny though.
smile.png

I am buying a new coop. Hubby idea not mine. Since he is not home but 2 days a week he can not build one. So by the end on month or start of next we will be getting a 8x12 premade building.
D.gif
I will turn that into main and leave the 8x8 as broody coop.

Nella Bean.
moved here 11 yrs ago from S.Ca.

wished it could have been sooner,

there is good and bad all over.
vets costs are higher here and
some dont have the funds..

Hey Robo, when you get finished with all that, come on over here! I have a few projects for ya.
lol.png

cybercat, congratulations on your upcoming new coop! That's such a nice way to do it if you don't have time to build it. My biggest coop was once a children's playhouse . . . now it's a banty playhouse! I love it. Be sure to post pics of yours as you progress!

Quote:
I won't be done until late March!
lol.png
I'm short on cash and time, ya know I could be a music teacher for some $$. Every Good Breeder Deserves Funding!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom