Thank you for the tarp suggestion/pics #17

Jan 23, 2010
Mountains of NC
Last year I used burlap on the outside walls of the run and it worked great for limiting the wind, rain, snow, etc. This year I have a new run, max number of chickens for the coop ,and decided to cover all walls of the run with clear tarps. There is a six inch area right under the roof that isn't tarped. So, two weeks ago, with help from my DH, we used screws and fender washers and put the tarps up. Also used a few pieces of furring strips to help hold it down. Yesterday the wind was over 40 mph. The tarps worked great. Didn't even make noise. Covering all walls, except I haven't covered the doors yet, was definitely better for us. Excited and wondering how much snow will come in at the roof line when we have a blizzard.

My tarps are just not clear plastic. They have 1/2 inch little boxes made with nylon within the plastic.

Thanks to all of you who have suggested doing this.

Last edited:
That's cool I have a old area rug I used on my living room floor for my son to play on ( last house had wood floors and this rental were living In now has carpet) even with all the juice and food spilled on it I couldn't bring myself to throw it out. I think it's like 5 x 8 anyways I'm going to use it to cover my chicken tractor for the winter.

I ordered some today from Tarpsplus.com--the clear ones are listed at the bottom of the page. Someone posted about these several months ago and I saved the info.

Clear white plastic, heavy duty, tarp ordered online from Home Depot....my HD store did not have it in stock. I didn't want the blue or gray as thought they would make the run too dark for my girls. An 11'6" x 9'6" tarp cost $19.95 which I thought was very reasonable. On a suggestion from another BYCer, I used 2 1/2" screws through metal washers to put it up. Using these will not only keep the tarp on, but when the tarp comes off next spring, the screws and washers will be reinstalled to keep the hardware cloth totally secured on the run. Loved that idea!!!! I finally can sleep at night now and not worry about what I haven't secured enough to keep a raccoon from getting into the run. Hardware cloth was a must when I had the coop/run built two months ago, but then I got to thinking a raccoon might be able to pull it loose somewhere, so the screws and washers solved that problem since they are installed every 8 inches the length and height of the run which is 12' x 6'. I have a keyed hasp lock on the two doors into my raised coop, and another type key lock on the nesting boxes, and also another hasp type lock in addition to a slide lock on the people door to the run. Am I paranoid or what? I had chickens two years ago and after my main layer was killed by a raccoon, I got rid of the other layers, coop, run, etc. I was so upset I couldn't have stood it if another chicken was killed. Therefore, the new coop/run updated and hopefully totally protected.

Coolidea, I didn't even know that they made clear tarps.
frow.gif
I also live in N.C but by the coast, it was verry windy here too, so I just pulled stuff from around the yard to block the wind, my chickens now have a area to get out of the wind.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom