The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

I have a question. I have 7 silkie eggs on day 12 right now, and I noticed that two of them have tilted air cells. Like, they aren't fully on the side of the egg, but they are pretty tilted. They look to be the right size, but I am worried. I got them from a breeder about 7 minutes away from me, and they weren't bumped around or anything in the short car ride, either. It doesn't look like a saddle air cell, and it's completely stationary, just really tilted. I have them in a brinsea mini eco incubator, on their side. I hand turn 3 times a day(I had been turning 5 times a day, but I went down to three times on day 10). Is there any way to get the air cells back to where they should be? Just saying, I don't think I would be able to fit a piece of egg carton in the incubator, but I could try. Do you think I should just leave it? I can try to get pictures soon.
They should be fine.

Post pictures!

No. The one is much more tilted. I wouldn't be worried if it looked like that. I will try to get pictures in a little bit.
On my silkie eggs I've had, some had the high part starting right near the top of the shell, and the dip goes down the correct percentage. Kind of like the air cell just slid down to the left of the above photo, and they have hatched fine.

I have pictures now.

Sorry the pictures aren't the best.

Woke up this morning to my clock flashing! What? I knew the power was back on, because it was flashing, the wrong time, but flashing. Hurried checked both bators for temp. One was at 93, other at 95. Not bad, but had to be off for a bit for them to get down that low. I keep one at 97, it was the one at 93..the other at 99..it was at 95. I'm not too worried. I do have that one that pipped last night. I wasn't hearing peeping last night, but am this morning. Things still look good where the pip is. Chirps a lot. Hope it hatches on it's own..pipped at wrong end.

You can add water through a vent using plastic tubing and a funnel. If you have a syringe, you can use that instead of the funnel. Surprisingly, some have syringes and surgical tubing for this. It surprises me when folks have stuff like that laying around.... Soon we will need to start doing this to keep out of the incubator!
I stole my tubing from the Brinsea pump but I do have a whole load of syringes laying around. Due to the vets charging a bomb for single syringes if the horse needs injections (Because he won't eat powdered antibiotics) I ordered a whole pack of sterile ones from Amazon for the price of a couple from the vets.
I have pictures now.
Sorry the pictures aren't the best.
The pics look ok to me and should hatch fine.

Back
Top Bottom