Pics
A295F502-D985-4F02-A777-5F83D4999E9A.jpeg

Anyone willing to talk a little color genetics with me? Particularly those breeding to the SOP or working with standard colors?

2 of my young shamo stags (about 10 weeks old) have black hackles. According to the SOP this neither fits into the wheaten or the BBR categories and falls in the rather poorly defined "dark" category. Of course there is no visual aid in the newest SOP to accompany the dark shamo or the dark malay (which is often referenced as colors for shamo and malay are very similar).

1st: does anyone have dark oriental game they could share pictures of. Not black, but dark.
2nd: When breeding dark, would you only want dark to dark matings or could dark to wheaten produce color correct chicks? I'm concerned it will extend the black in my wheaten females which I don't want.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, I can't help with that particular question.

I understand the basic genetics of Dark Brahmas and Dark Cornish, but I don't think either one is the same as "Dark" in Shamo and Malay.
So the SOP literally says for dark Shamo “this variety is essentially the same color as the dark Cornish although somewhat more variation is often experienced, and the ground color of the female is of a slightly lighter shade”

Maybe you can help!

Back
Top Bottom