Pics
I haven’t offered hatching eggs for general sale in over a year, and I only tried breeding the Wahl Aseel birds pure once. All of my lines and breedings I’ve infused with the Wahl aseel are Liege and bankivoid crosses.

Now that you mention straight combed aseel, I would like to get a bengum male at some point, just as a lone specimen

Do either of you know anyone who sells pure Aseel hatching eggs? Bonus points if they are located near Alabama.

Do either of you know anyone who sells pure Aseel hatching eggs? Bonus points if they are located near Alabama.
Pure isn’t always better. I suspect the Wahls are superior to a lot of what’s available in the US for the reason that they may have had some fresh blood added in decades past. It depends on if purity for the sake of purity, or robust health and functionality, are more important to you.

I wouldn’t trust anything to be pure unless its coming from a verified importer or a well known hobbiest. Most gamefowl guys with orientals in the US are looking for a functional bird over a collector’s item, so they often cross in something else and then bury the outside genes in so the offspring look and act like aseels but have the robustness of hybrid crosses. There are plenty of people who have birds bred pure to their own type but that doesn’t mean they’re pure for hundreds of years back into their Asian lineage. The Wahls probably haven’t put outside blood into their lines in decades. I’m betting its something they did when they first imported them 30 or so years ago to invigorate the line.

Thanks great information. If you look online there are Pakistani, Thai, Rampura, Sonatol, even Shamos listed as a type of Asil. Can someone tell me the differences? Are these actual types or do they refer to specific breeds, colors, sizes, etc.?

Thanks great information. If you look online there are Pakistani, Thai, Rampura, Sonatol, even Shamos listed as a type of Asil. Can someone tell me the differences? Are these actual types or do they refer to specific breeds, colors, sizes, etc.?

Different people will tell you different things. I believe that an aseel is an aseel. Are there differences in each type, and should they be highlighted through the use of different names? Yes, but it's not a hill I'm willing to die on. Go with whichever one you prefer, they all have small differences between them, but for the most part they still hold true to their nature

Some of the demarcations originally referred to color types, others to localities, and over time the lines between how a sub breed was defined became blurred. For example, Sonatol used to be a reference to the BBR or Wheaten colored aseel, but now it means a particular line with a certain body type that can be a variety of colors.

I have a tendency to agree that aseel are all the same bird that are regional variants of each other, but one overall kind of oriental gamefowl.

I can usually see common builds between Rampuri aseel and also in Sonatol aseel in the US so that if presented with either, I can recognize them as one or the other. Beyond that, I probably couldn’t tell a good difference between various sub races. I would also bet they get interbred more now than they used to be due to how easy regional and global trade can be. Sometimes I watch foreign oriental gamefowl channels on Youtube and its clear that many farms keep multiple lineages as is done in the US. They’ll show off crosses with regularity and I bet there’s a large degree of integration between bloodlines that wasn’t happening as often 300 years ago.

I've never raised Aseel chicks before. I'm feeding a gamebird starter that's higher protein. What's your set-up to keep your chicks from hurting each other? Like I said earlier, I have them in with some other hatchlings right now. They are only a couple days old.

Back
Top Bottom