The hunting/fishing thread!

Pics
My brothers club I hunt on as a guest has screwed up rules. A shooter buck has to have a 13” inside spread and 8 points or better or at least 4 points on one side. It’s a $100 fine per lacking inch and/or point, so if you drop a 10 point with a 12” spread, that’s a $100 fine. If you drop a tiny little 3 point thinking it’s a doe you could easily be looking at a 1k fine, it’s happened before. They do have a grace for spikes, only $100 if you hit a spike thinking it’s a doe. I had to let the biggest deer I’ve ever seen walk because it was only a 6pt. It had at least a 22” spread and was a very old and heavy deer.
All that would be fine but there is no leeway for cull deer. I could hit a 3 year old cow horn with a 30” spread and then have to pay a $100 fine. So all the bad genes continually get past down to future generations.
Most of the members carry a $100 bill in their pocket just in case they miss the minimum spread by an inch.

That kinda crap is why I dropped out of clubs and only hunt my own property. The money I save from dues I use to improve the feed plots. Game and fish here talking about outlawing food plots for some completely stupid reason. Pretty sure it's because private land owners are doing a better job of helping the wildlife than their rich boys club.

The surrounding properties are all leases but owned by the paper company and they have been clear cutting them. So now we have the only timber, food, and have been fighting trespassers. In the past 5 years I've sent two brothers to the pen over repeat offenses. Seems barbed wire fence and no trespassing signs are a hard concept to comprehend. I sure hope nasty nate is teaching them a thing or two about the value of personal space right now.

Does anyone here tan their own hides after hunting? We often do but I'd love some tips on degreasing raccoon skins (tails particularly) from someone with more experience

Does anyone here tan their own hides after hunting? We often do but I'd love some tips on degreasing raccoon skins (tails particularly) from someone with more experience
i have tanned, mink and weasel before.

i use a commercial tanning solution and just followed the instructions on the box.

but i have skinned a few coons, i would highly suggest getting a good fleshing knife for them. (trapping supply stores should have them) they can be very greasy.

the best tip i can give, is this from my fur buyer. he told me you want your pelt to sound like paper when its done drying when you shake it. should have as little fat on it also use saw dust to soak up extra oil, (i don`t tan my coons as i sell the fur)

i have tanned, mink and weasel before.

i use a commercial tanning solution and just followed the instructions on the box.

but i have skinned a few coons, i would highly suggest getting a good fleshing knife for them. (trapping supply stores should have them) they can be very greasy.

the best tip i can give, is this from my fur buyer. he told me you want your pelt to sound like paper when its done drying when you shake it. should have as little fat on it also use saw dust to soak up extra oil, (i don`t tan my coons as i sell the fur)

I have tanned quite alot but raccoon has been a mystery (or rather, a challenge should I say). I've tried washing with a mild degreaser before tanning which helped quite a bite, and sawdust afterwards to get some of the remainder off - but the main part that holds fat is the tail. I split them to remove bone and carefully flesh to not tear holes, but still can't quite get it perfect. I have a few good fleshing knives and a good beam to flesh them on.

Unlike how you don't tan and probably just salt dry, I would assume, for a fur buyer- I actually tan them myself to use for a few projects. I don't use commercial tanning agents - salt/alum mix instead. I get great results on my deer and other hides especially using a light neatsfoot oil mix at the end of drying/stretching. I usually smoke afterwards also which really adds to it, and seemed to help the raccoon some but the tail (especially in hot temperatures) still holds a problem.

Back
Top Bottom