The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

She found a puddle to pay in so please excuse the bits of mud. Late 2014 hatch from our chocolate hens and black split rooster.

Last edited:
Ha! I saw a bird do that when I was visiting another member. The hen actually did this VERY strange little upright walk and then POP out came an egg.

Haha! We joke that maybe they think they just farted or were constipated. It's like it doesn't dawn on them that they had an egg coming out! ;)

It is funny to see these huge fluffy basketball sized birds stand up and see the teeny egg under them! Slowly getting up to size though. And very yummy!

That sounds heavenly. I wish I had a little more space between me and the neighbors (and I'd kill to be along one of the creeks!). I really like the diverse character of my little hood though. My sister bought a place four blocks from my and my BFF bought one three blocks away. And several other friends either rent or bought within a one mile radius. It's so nice to be close.

@HighStreetCoop I wish I had friends/family nearby... they would ALL have coops & chickens in their backyards for me!
lol.png

@minihorse927 I love this little hen. She's a beauty.
love.gif

Quote:
@boykin2010 I feel like it's a pretty ambitious project... this year I'll get splits on the ground and if they start to lay before it gets too cold & wet here, maybe hatch from them to get some more birds that are pure for the mottling gene to work with. Initially I'll breed brother x sister, so the birds will be medium sized. Their offspring will be put back to pure bantams to reduce size.

Unfortunately, they mostly all have dogs who are NOT chicken friendly (or no yard). When they come over, I have to close the gate to the top terrace where the coop is or things would go baaaaaadly.

I have a trio of black English orps. Pullets started laying in January. I get a lot of eggs with air cells down on the side of the egg. Of the eggs I have incubated, those that were fertile with the misplaced air cells have not hatched. I have not had this problem with any of my other breeds. Out of the 14 eggs I put in a week ago, probably half have the side air cells. Does anyone have an idea of what's going on? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom