The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Double posted
smile.png

Last edited:
We will have another shipment coming soon - as soon as the temps get a little warmer in the UK - and will have some of these colors coming in....patience.
D.gif

Thanks,
Richard

No way was a Partridge orpington used in the creation of the Legbar Orpington. It took a very clever Swedish breeder over 20 years to create. The LEGBAR ORPINGTON was mentioned in "Fancy Fowl" magerzine when they interviewed one of the top Orpington breeders, David Pownall who is also known to be one of the top and best show people as well, who collected every acolade in the breeding and showing of his Orpingtons.
He bought the LEGBAR ORPINGTON over and won with it at the National and the Federation Champion Shows.
The true Legbar Orpington when bred from, throws the odd white orpington being a throwback in the making of this bird, white of course is recessive black. The same with the Cream Crested Legbar, this breed also throws a white bird now and then being a throwback when the white Araucana was used in creating the Crested Legbar to obtain the blue egg.
The Legbar Orpington however only throws a tinted egg and alas no blue egg.
wee.gif

could one use a cream legbar over a black orp and then go from there? I know body type and egg color aren't the same but could it be a workable project?

The easiest way to do it would be to use Cuckoo Orps and Welsummers, unless you can find a bbr or crele color large bird with white legs, it would take 5 generations to get the color and then you would have to get the type right.

Last edited:
Well I wasn't there but everyone I spoke to today said about as many LF Orps as there was at Lake City, Fl. I know I counted 24 in Lake City. Maybe Pidgey can tell us since she was there.

Last year when I was there there was one who tent of nothing but Marans as they were introducing a new color. There were only 8 LF Orps shown last year But although there were more bantams shown it seemed there was two large tents and another buiilding witth LF breeds last year. I hope they had a good turn oiut. I have been for the two years prior and it seemed to be a growing show.

I only counted about 10 Orpingtons shown. There was not that many. The one I got from you got RV and the hen That I have didnt do so good came in last for the hens. Didnt think she would do all that well she has some growing to do still. Got to get pictures of our new blue orpington hens mom bought so you guys can tell me what you think.

Bama, he's in the UK. I mean just look at those bodies! :)
Orpington Chickens - Essex Orpingtons » Crele orpington

www.orpingtonchickens.co.uk/listing/36/crele_orpington.htmlCached
This is our favourite orpington colour. We have sourced crele orpingtons from private collectors across the country and also purchased hatching eggs from a top ...

WOW..nothing cochiney going on there..my lord that rooster is fantastic!!!! hens are not too shabby either...thanks for sharing..

Back
Top Bottom