The Legbar Thread!

This is the hen

When do the crests start to develop?  

Usually, you should be able to see them right at hatch... just a little tuft of down sticking up on their heads... when they just start to feather out though, somwtimes it looks like it disappears for a bit until they fully feather out...

Last edited:
Thanks! I've got a 4.5 week old hatch that I did not band that are half Bielefelders and half Cream Legbars. They look SOOOO much alike at hatch and I have banded my second hatch so I can tell who is who. I'll try to post some photos later on of the older hatch, I think I've got a trio of Legbars (showing slight crests at this age), one Biel hen and one little hen who could go either way. As always, THANKS BYC!!!!!!

I have two six day old Cream Legbars and one has ambiguous markings. I suspect it's a male. The light smudge on the head of the smaller one with the wings is giving me doubts it's female. This one also lacks the defined "eye liner".

I have two six day old Cream Legbars and one has ambiguous markings. I suspect it's a male. The light smudge on the head of the smaller one with the wings is giving me doubts it's female. This one also lacks the defined "eye liner".

Yep, I know how you feel! I've had a few ambiguous Legbar cicks myself and I'd love to hear what others more versed in Legbars have to say. Where did you get them? Are you sure they are pure bred? The reason I ask is that the leg/foot color looks off to me. A bit too grayish???????? Or could very well be the lighting! But IMO, I'd say you have one of each, pullet and cockerel..

They're chicks from a Legbar roo and Legbar hen in my own flock. So the chicks are both purebred. Unless I mistakenly selected an EE egg when I was collecting the clutch for my broody hen. Could the small one be a Legbar/EE hybrid?

Anyone else care to give an opinion?

They're chicks from a Legbar roo and Legbar hen in my own flock. So the chicks are both purebred. Unless I mistakenly selected an EE egg when I was collecting the clutch for my broody hen. Could the small one be a Legbar/EE hybrid?

Anyone else care to give an opinion?
That could be - hope someone else chimes in!

Back
Top Bottom