They could be having a deficiency. Are the leaves turning a particular color (besides yellow) prior to falling off? Even if it's just yellow, the fade pattern can also tell you if it's nitrogen, calcium, or magnesium.

Throw up a picture if you'd like. Besides the sun, which is clearly important, it could actually be a different issue. I've grown hundreds of plants that have never recieved sun light.

The weird thing is they’re not even turning yellow. They’re just shriveling up and falling off. Maybe not enough water? I am sometimes bad about that :oops:

But I’ve been better lately.

I have added coffee grounds twice and I’ve read they like that and that it would stimulate leaf growth, which it did. But maybe they need a more all encompassing fertilizer or compost or something???

Ever since I was little we've had a 24hr rule. It's got to last 24hrs before we name it and thus get attached. Of course this rule was mainly because we had poddy lambs and baby poults, which we only took in because they were abandoned so not in great shape. But I like to use it now still just incase.
I like that rule. :)

The weird thing is they’re not even turning yellow. They’re just shriveling up and falling off. Maybe not enough water? I am sometimes bad about that :oops:

But I’ve been better lately.

I have added coffee grounds twice and I’ve read they like that and that it would stimulate leaf growth, which it did. But maybe they need a more all encompassing fertilizer or compost or something???
It could be watering. If so the leaf would dry up prior to the plant sucking the resources out of it.

Are you going for an organic setup? If so, in the vegetative state nitrogen is the most important element. Calcium and magnesium are next as they work as a delivery system for the micro and macro nutrients.

If you are going for a none organic system, then any general "grow" formula should do fine. They typically have all the micro/macros a plant "needs."

Coffee grounds are great, but they don't actually release any nutrients until it starts to breakdown. Coffee grounds are indeed good, but not a complete food form. (It must be brewed btw. Never use fresh grounds!)

That goes for any organic amendments that have not been chelated (think of pre composted). With organic material, even though there is nitrogen (or other valued elements) it's in a complex form that needs microbes to digest them and beak them in to simpler forms.

3 must be my number today

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200218-062254.jpg
    Screenshot_20200218-062254.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 3
It could be watering. If so the leaf would dry up prior to the plant sucking the resources out of it.

Are you going for an organic setup? If so, in the vegetative state nitrogen is the most important element. Calcium and magnesium are next as they work as a delivery system for the micro and macro nutrients.

If you are going for a none organic system, then any general "grow" formula should do fine. They typically have all the micro/macros a plant "needs."

Coffee grounds are great, but they don't actually release any nutrients until it starts to breakdown. Coffee grounds are indeed good, but not a complete food form. (It must be brewed btw. Never use fresh grounds!)

That goes for any organic amendments that have not been chelated (think of pre composted). With organic material, even though there is nitrogen (or other valued elements) it's in a complex form that needs microbes to digest them and beak them in to simpler forms.

Thanks!! This makes a lot of sense!! I’m not really going for any method in particular, though I do like using more natural products and/or compost rather than like miracle grow or something haha but I don’t have a problem with it. The potting soil in there is cheap $3 stuff at I got at a local store but they seem to thrive in it :lau and then I usually add Espoma fertilizer or something to it. But I’m willing to try about anything. This is my first time overwintering peppers or anything really.

And thanks for the info on the grounds! So I would have to put it in a compost pile or something first? I think the article I read said to put them directly on it, like around the base or whatever, but maybe that’s not true? They are at least used ones though. Like after my parents make coffee I’ve taken them out and put them around the plants then watered so it soaks in.

Back
Top Bottom