Itā€™s very lean. Lean enough to starve on it is the story we grew up with. But the steaks are good as is the roast. they are tasty just not mouth watering tender
We eat venison often. There is an art to cooking it and its a lot of practice. If you go longer than medium rare it dries out. Also marinating first in a little gin and then whatever else. Or maybe Magnolia deer are just tender.

Ok confirmation I think on laying herself to death. The Dino eggs she laid have 3 yolks! I have never seen that before. I have been aiming for egg layers but I think I better dial it back with the next bunch.
Katharina Duck (F&W Runner) laid a couple of three-yolkers in late spring 2019, just before she started collecting eggs and went broody.

We eat venison often. There is an art to cooking it and its a lot of practice. If you go longer than medium rare it dries out. Also marinating first in a little gin and then whatever else. Or maybe Magnolia deer are just tender.
Deer is always extremely lean, in fact strips of fat or bacon need to be inserted before grilling deer or you only create new soles for your shoes. In German it is called Ā»spickenĀ« and Google could not translate it, but here is what it looks like:
1607121241956.png

Picture from the German Wikipedia article.

That is the way with a lot of game animals.

Maybe itā€™s an acquire taste. Moose is almost entirely protein.

Having lived on wild animals or so much of my youth, and even 6-7 years after we were married I guess I like it.

I donā€™t think it will be as tender as a marbled beef. But I find grass feed beef to be tough too. I say feed them all the corn they can eat in the last 6-9 months.

I actually have heard of larding. Thanks for the german word for it! Despite my mother being full german she's refused to teach me any of it so I feel lost from my heritage. I wonder if like a roast bird you could wrap it in bacon and then cook. The bacon fat for added juiciness and the bacon itself for am amplified flavour.

Back
Top Bottom