Quick question: What is the distance between the top of the heat-plate and the rim of the box?
Have they already discovered that the top of the heat-plate is a nice place to sit?
It is day 12 and they just grew enough so they can pop their heads above the plate and discover a new world.
If they were to stand on the top I think it would be no big problem for them to hop out so we're always putting a lid - mesh screen on top of the crate.

It is day 12 and they just grew enough so they can pop their heads above the plate and discover a new world.
If they were to stand on the top I think it would be no big problem for them to hop out so we're always putting a lid - mesh screen on top of the crate.
Mine jump on the plate from practically day 1! Silly things.

😭
Saturday was a terrible day here! Spent most of the day outside with the ducks, doing garden stuff. Had to leave for about 20 minutes to buy milk, a cabbage head and some apples. Even left the garage door open…
When i came back all the ducks were inside of the duck house, quiet and scared. I don't know what has happened, there were no signs of struggle, no feathers or paw prints but a lot of ducks are missing! Mister Chapo Duckman and two of his friends disappeared and worst of all Mayhem and Limpy were gone too!

Mr. Limpy, the last of the first ducks is no more! 💔
At first i could not find Harry Duckhini and Sunny Sunshine, but they hid in the kitchen, both so shaky and afraid that they spent the night inside the house.
Mayhem showed up the next morning, limping and with ruffled plumage, somehow he must have escaped from whatever that was. Fortunately he was not injured, but he is now afraid of me. The same drake that enjoyed sitting in my lap last year is literally fleeing me now.
Working turned out to be difficult, the dux are currently alerting multiple times every day and i have not been able to figure out what's triggering them. There's nothing visible on the cameras, but of course i run out every time…
Harry and Sunny usually spend the day on the patio where they feel safe:
full

Since Sunday i have noticed an unusual number of Turkey Vultures on my property:
full
They have never roosted on my fence posts before and the ducks are terrified by them. All the years before, there have been 2-3 of these birds around and now all of the sudden over ten are lurking.
Would Turkey Vultures attack ducks if they are really hungry? 🤔
Anyways, i have attached a ground- and a hot-wire from my electric fence to the top of the fence posts and they are no longer roosting there. But still circling in the sky.

It also seems that some of the mallard drakes have disappeared. Oh, and the crows have left. All of them! There is not a single crow in the area, where there were more than two dozen. A single pair of mallards shows up every morning, spends the day with the ducks (safety in numbers?) and flies off after sunset.

No clue what has happened here, but this place is not peaceful anymore. 👻
Well... it's not impossible nut i think it is more likley to be coyotes or something and the vultures are just there eating what the coyotes are leaving. I'm thinking if it were an arieal predator you'd find feathers or something. I don't see how vultures could carry off that many full size ducks that fast.

Coyotes have been bad here this year. Lots of folks losing birds and a friends little dog was attacked one evening just a few feet from their front door while it was out for a potty break.

I have tons of turkey vultures at my place too. So far I've never saw them swoop down in an attempt at the duks.
But again.. anything is possible i guess.

Editing to add hugs. 🫂
So sorry about Limpy and the rest. 😭

Oh man. So a 2-legged predator?
I am not sure. It could be yet another technical issue. And maybe raccoons have recently learned how to operate switches? …
There is however an ongoing conflict with one of the other inhabitants of the holler about the usual issue between dog- and duck-owner. Their dog-run was damaged during the recent flash-flooding event. Me and other poultry owners have offered help but were declined. 🤔

I'm also thinking coyotes. The time we had them here they were moving through. I could hear them in the distance and over a period of a week or two they got closer and closer until they were HERE, where they stayed for the night, before continuing on. Never had them since (that was four years ago).

The trail cam thing is perplexing though. 🤔 I know coyotes are smart, but... Wouldn't think their presence would short out a trail cam.

Aliens? 👽
“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”​

So, yes: Aliens! 👾

We had coyotes here a couple years ago they can be right up on you before you hear them. Thankful for fencing becasue they would come down the mountain and be right close to the fence before a siren would go off and they would start boy that can play on the nerves. I have also heard when they get a rabbit awful. People hunt them down here. They are so bad to go after livestock. We still hear them every once in a while but it's not close. Did have a fox at the fence a few weeks ago.
So sorry you lost some of your ducks Hillbilly it's heartbreaking to hear.
We do have coyotes from time to time here. However most of them don't survive for long. Too many folks here that would not have protein on their tables without their chickens and wabbits…

Back
Top Bottom