I went home last night just about dark did a head count on chickens was minus 1 I looked around and found her body I think a hawk got her been see them flying over head . I just ordered 50 feet of netting . It is funny I never had a hawk problem when they free ranged . but they had a lot of cover this pen just has the building. I should get the netting tomorrow thank the lord for Amazon. lucky it was an old hen she wasn't laying any more . poor things are locked up today I cracked a window for them. I been wondering if I should free range them again. only reason they were locked up was I had a racoon problem this summer . they were hunting during the day . sometimes I think why am I doing this it is stress full ,.

Sorry for you loss. It’s not a a decision we make lightly. Mine are in a half acre fenced with no cover with the leaves gone for winter and because of mines reluctance to go up on their property behind the house I put up temp fencing so they can’t unless I am with them. We had a hawk kill in summer last year one of our Roos and with the way everyone is acting I am thinking there may have been a close call to make them afraid so for now they are happy where they are and my poultry property looks like tacky city with predator tape hanging from the trees! It can be stressful but I want my birds to also live as naturally as they can too so this has been my decisions for mine. If you have a way to cover with netting that can sure help and maybe free range when you can be outside with them.

I went home last night just about dark did a head count on chickens was minus 1 I looked around and found her body I think a hawk got her been see them flying over head . I just ordered 50 feet of netting . It is funny I never had a hawk problem when they free ranged . but they had a lot of cover this pen just has the building. I should get the netting tomorrow thank the lord for Amazon. lucky it was an old hen she wasn't laying any more . poor things are locked up today I cracked a window for them. I been wondering if I should free range them again. only reason they were locked up was I had a racoon problem this summer . they were hunting during the day . sometimes I think why am I doing this it is stress full ,.
So sorry you lost one :hugs :hugs Mine are all locked up because I can't afford to lose anymore.

Grr, hawks!! I'm sorry you lost a chicken. I'm not a fan of hawks. At all. I really wish there was a way to manage these predators without going to prison. :hit

Ever since I started with chickens a few years ago, my goal was to have a free range flock. Turns out it's just not that simple.

Sorry for you loss. It’s not a a decision we make lightly. Mine are in a half acre fenced with no cover with the leaves gone for winter and because of mines reluctance to go up on their property behind the house I put up temp fencing so they can’t unless I am with them. We had a hawk kill in summer last year one of our Roos and with the way everyone is acting I am thinking there may have been a close call to make them afraid so for now they are happy where they are and my poultry property looks like tacky city with predator tape hanging from the trees! It can be stressful but I want my birds to also live as naturally as they can too so this has been my decisions for mine. If you have a way to cover with netting that can sure help and maybe free range when you can be outside with them.
you know when I left yesterday the rest was crammed into a corner of the pen all girls around tommy the roo I thought it was strange but thought they wanted more peas. What is predator tape.

Grr, hawks!! I'm sorry you lost a chicken. I'm not a fan of hawks. At all. I really wish there was a way to manage these predators without going to prison. :hit

Ever since I started with chickens a few years ago, my goal was to have a free range flock. Turns out it's just not that simple.
your right mine free range for about 3 years until this past summer I am not going to be so nice this year .

Back
Top Bottom