I think you guys are over pricing your birds..

While 6 bucks is not much money, most people see chicks for a buck or less at tractor supply and feed/farm stores. They will go to the cheapest place to buy.

I have owned a licensed hatchery albeit a small one for years. I raised only birds that were SOP and did well at shows and fairs. I followed NPIP rules religiously.

My chicks would win year after year at these shows. I was lucky to get $6 for a quality bird.

I have cream legbars and white legbars I would fight to get $6 for them for years. Whites are rare Myers hatchery sells them at 54 bucks each.

I stopped hatching them because I couldn’t turn a profit on them, people refuse to pay $10 for them.

I was lucky and my cream legbars we’re carrying the white gene.. actually failure to express color gene.. I was one of the first in the country to have white legbars.

I sit on the legbar club board and know the SOP in and out. This year I am eating white legbar eggs.

The only birds I can sell a lot of are those mutts I use to hatch and sell for a buck each..

Maybe your areas are different, but I doubt it as I sold birds in most states.
A breeder I use to go buy my pullets at, years back, sold her birds $7-$13 each. She sold out every week. She had over 200 pullets, good mutts and purebreds, too.

A breeder I use to go buy my pullets at, years back, sold her birds $7-$13 each. She sold out every week. She had over 200 pullets, good mutts and purebreds, too.

Good for her... it would not happen in most areas. My incubators have not even been turned on this year.

How many birds does she hatch at a time?

Btw purebred is not a term used in chickens. It is SOP that counts. But I know what you mean when you say purebred.. if chickens had them mine would be.

Good for her... it would not happen in most areas. My incubators have not even been turned on this year.

How many birds does she hatch at a time?

Btw purebred is not a term used in chickens. It is SOP that counts. But I know what you mean when you say purebred.. if chickens had them mine would be.
She orders them off show breeders, she buys them for more and sells them for less, but she sells faster.

So she use to hatch 500 layers (RIR'S which always were around $5) Blue BR's for $7 (pullets) And she hatched some others, no idea what breeds though.

She orders them off show breeders, she buys them for more and sells them for less, but she sells faster.

So she use to hatch 500 layers (RIR'S which always were around $5) Blue BR's for $7 (pullets) And she hatched some others, no idea what breeds though.
I was/am a show breeder.. tell her to buy off me and I will turn the incubators on.

You sure know how to make a guy feel special! :highfive:
That would be fantastic, and thank you. We're going to a dog parade on Saturday morning, so I'm thinking I'll head your way in the afternoon. We'll likely go have lunch with @cra8ychix after the parade(her and her husband are in the parade with a couple of their dogs). So I'm guessing I'd be to your place between 3-4:00 if that works for you.
It will be a fun day but it’s going to be cool 🥶 here. Probably not while walking and you see how we walk. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom