Good morning Bob. Any big plans this weekend?

I'm hoping to get the bantam breeding pin finished. I had to use part of it to quarantine, but now that's done I'm ready to get the saw up and running again.
:frow Good morning Chris, have a great day. More than I possibly can get done. Prep the garden, plant some seeds, repair the planter, mow, bake bread... That coupled with normal first of the month activities...

I slaved in the kitchen to make quackie snacks again.
🦆🦆🦆
There are...
  • Apples​
  • Snap peas​
  • Tomatoes​
  • Blueberry​
  • Strawberry​
  • 21% game feed​
  • Yogurt​
I'm trying to find a good temp/time to cook them at. The last 2 I made where a bit of in texture. The cupcake sized ones didn't cook right at all. They got a bit too firm on the edges but where still a bit too "goopy" to cut with a knife. The one I did in a pie dish was a much better consistency in the middle, but again the edges where a bit tough.

This time I went with larger pans as increased surface area seemed to help with consistency.

I know cooking the yogurt is going to kill the beneficial microbes, but I'm actually trying it out as a binding agent. I mixed 8oz of plain yogurt to 6 eggs and whipped the mixture for about 2 minutes, shells included. I wanted it to be super frothy to help decrease the cook time. Less time exposed to heat, the better the nutrition levels should remain.

I put just enough of the chopped mixture in the pan to cover the bottom, then just enough egg mixture to almost cover it. Then I spread a thin layer of game feed over that to soak up some excess moisture.

20200403_202124.jpg

20200403_203050.jpg
20200403_203113.jpg

Baked at 400° for 10 minutes. The idea is to flip the pan over and have the game feed on the bottom, then chop up in ¹/2" cubes for snacks.
One is made with duck egg (6), the other chicken egg (7). I want to see which egg has the best binding properties for what I'm trying to do.
20200404_063549.jpg

I feel like this is a lot of work just for some treats, but it's all fruit and veggies on the way out. This way I can freeze it and not waste it, or bre forced to feed it to them all at once. I'm trying to find ways to turn trash in to stash and streatch it out while I'm at it.

I also made some ice treats with the same mixture minus the eggs/yogurt. Did 6 of these, and I'll just toss them in the pool as it gets hot.
20200403_204036.jpg
20200403_204058.jpg

:frow Good morning Chris, have a great day. More than I possibly can get done. Prep the garden, plant some seeds, repair the planter, mow, bake bread... That coupled with normal first of the month activities...
That Sir, is a hefty list.

Just remembered I've got a question for you. With the RIW, is the rose comb or straight comb the "proper" variety? I saw an ad for some locally, but they have a straight comb, and it didn't look right.

That Sir, is a hefty list.

Just remembered I've got a question for you. With the RIW, is the rose comb or straight comb the "proper" variety? I saw an ad for some locally, but they have a straight comb, and it didn't look right.
Rose comb, straight comb is bad.

ETA: Doesn't mean one won't pop-up now and again, but when one does, it goes to the cull flock.

Back
Top Bottom