Oh yum!! My mom was a south Georgia girl ended up marrying a merchant Marine[My dad] from PA. so I grew up not eating greens and all things southern. It wasn't until I married and my MIL introduced me to southern cooking, I sure did fall in love with collards with cornbread I could make a meal out of that. I like other greens too but collards are my all time favorite. And my dh aunt would take fresh greens and wash them in her washing machine.No soap just rinse and spin

So, today I put spinach in cheese scones. I stir fry young kale leaves or add them to stews and casseroles. I eat mustard leaves very young in salads. I have never eaten turnip greens. But I guess the way we cook various foods is often about culture and memories.
Here most greens are boiled for a long time, typically with some kind of pig meat in it. You'll still find cheese and spinach scones, and other various uses. Typically though in the states when somebody refers to greens, they're just being boiled as a side dish.

And my dh aunt would take fresh greens and wash them in her washing machine.No soap just rinse and spin
In commercial kitchens they use a device that is modeled after a clothes washer. It's got a huge tub with holes set inside a solid tub, about the size of a washing machines tub. You'd fiil it with ice water to cold shock the greens (typically lettuce & salad greens). Once cold shocked just pull the plug and set it to spin. It's amazing how much faster it makes the entire process.

Last edited:
@Miss Lydia last year when you hatched the Runner eggs, did you use an incubator or broody? Ice for an Ancona that's sitting on a nest and i expect to see some youngsters here soon. I'm just a bit concerned as they'd be with the LF flock... Maybe I can move them to the new a-frame since I don't technically need it right now.

Back
Top Bottom