Okay, I believe they want you to fill *one* bag, then place that sealed one in the other and seal it, minimizing leakage. If this works like a waterbed (and it does appear to!) then the heating element would go on the *bottom* whilst the probe would be on *top*. No idea about this cloth. Honestly, I'd place it on top of the plastic bag then wrap the sper\\\eggs with the rest.

Good luck, and I mean that, lol!
I think i have a better idea: I should have a gel pack for the freezer somewhere that should have just the right size to fit into that box. Pack that into a plastic bag, just to make sure and try this out. I kind of like the idea of adding a large thermal mass to an incubator to increase the thermal stability. Must do a test-run to see how good that thermostat is working.

This is what we are doing (day 2 yesterday and day 3 today).

On both days the other ducks stick close to the mini enclosure all the time. However, while yesterday they would come to the fence and peck at Junior and grab her by the neck through the fence, today the situation is somewhat more peaceful.

There are occassional pecks but all in all the behavior seems less aggressive. Most of the day everybody is relaxing in close promixity of Junior's enclosure. Sleeping a bit, bathing a bit, eating and drinking ... It's a duck's life.

Whenever the flock tries to move away she calls to them (peep peep peep... quite different than the other duck sounds we've experienced in our brief month of life with ducks), they call back and return.

Remembering what you said the other day about girls "mating" on land - this is what happened today. One of the newcomers got mated by a veteran. However, this did not seem to be a sheer dominance move - the newcomer kept coming up to the veteran and squatting in front of her, inviting her. The other non-Junior newcomes is behaving similarly.

Well, we didn't really have a hot hand with this purchase, we got a baby and 2 floozies :p What must have been going on at that 200-duck farm??
200 ducks? - Without ear protection instantly deaf!
As said, mating between same gender ducks is pretty much normal, even in mixed flocks.
And the Junior situation will improve daily, i am convinced that next weekend you will have a flock of eight happy ducks running around in your orchard.

I have another project cooking, raised beds, made from plastic "bags" that are sold on the hillbilly glue-trap site, i have to finish painting these two pallets today:
full

Once the paint is dry, i will set up these pallets on cinderblocks and place there plastic bags/beds on top like this:
full

Then fill up the pouches with soil and start planting. Its an experiment too, if stuff grows well in these things i have an easy way to expand my garden operation without much digging.

Back
Top Bottom