Strong Lord of the rings (Smaug the dragon) vibes here

Air seems to be on the pointed side though, not clear how that happened, we always insert eggs in the carton pointed side down, either for storage or before putting in the incubator.

photo_2024-04-09_21-43-05.jpg

Last edited:
Third video, view of the fields, also -5 to +5 minutes:
This phone limits the length of a video recording to 10 minutes, so the video ends before the sun is fully back.
@4:40 total eclipse starts
@5:30 total eclipse (people are cheering in the background)
@8:00 total eclipse ends

Unfortunately the time on this phone was not set to EDT, so the embedded time-stamps are completely off.
And the birds just keep chirping! It was not like that in 1999... Birds these days yada yada :)

Very nice, it's too bad you couldn't get the actual corona effect.

I also noticed the shadows here. I went outside (not looking at the sun) just to admire the weirdness, and it was the first thing I noticed.
Those shadows were completely unexpected. I have never heart somebody talking about shadows being weird during an eclipse.

Strong Lord of the rings (Smaug the dragon) vibes here

Air seems to be on the pointed side though, not clear how that happened, we always insert eggs in the carton pointed side down, either for storage or before putting in the incubator.

View attachment 3796469
It sometimes happened with the air bubble and i would not be overly concerned for now. You will need to pay attention in the last week: If the duckling pips internally into the air bubble, all is fine.
If there is a bruise or a pip at the wrong end of the egg you may have to open a breathing hole for the duckling. @Magnolia Ducks @shawluvsbirds - did i explain that correctly?

The state of Ohio is huuge, in comparison with West Virginia and the location i selected, near Marion, is located in the middle of duck paradise country! - You must have had a lot of rain and snow-melt recently because wherever i drove there were flood ponds, flooded woods and flooded fields. - And lot's of Mallard ducks.

Columbus was a reminder why i have moved away from the big city (Houston) into the country-side: Lot's of traffic and plenty of reckless drivers, if i had a dash-cam, i could open my own YT channel just from yesterday's experience…

I ended up in the middle of nowhere south-west of Marion at the entrance of a farm-driveway, away from the crowd with a good view around me (the little red arrow):
full

full

full

I befriended some donkeys:

I used two old phones, placed on the roof of my car to record tho different angles of the environment before, during and after the eclipse. And i figured out that the phone cameras are unable to take pictures from the sun. 😟 - Or maybe there was just enough cloud cover to throw the cameras off. Here is the best shot of the sun i was able to make:
full

The glare of the sun's corona is over-shining the moon's shadow.

However, using my NASA approved paper-glasses the picture looked completely different to my eyes. I could see solar flares coming from the sun's surface…

I am currently uploading the picture and videos from yesterday, so: »i'll be back«.
So sorry you had such a bad experience in our state. Like many other states we do have some crazy drivers but I am in the bus driving all day long and for the most part people are pretty considerate with me. I still drive to Columbus every Sunday to go to Church as I have gone there my whole life and it is where I am spiritually fed. I moved, the Church didn't so I still make the trip. We did get several inches of rain recently and there was a lot of flooding since it all came down in a few hours. Many of the berms on our roads got washed away. We had no snow to speak of this winter and it was great weather to be able to take care of the ducks. This was our second great winter in a row. They said you had to put something like the lens of the solar glasses over your camera in order to get good shots. I hope you got some. I am going to check them out now.

It sometimes happened with the air bubble and i would not be overly concerned for now. You will need to pay attention in the last week: If the duckling pips internally into the air bubble, all is fine.
If there is a bruise or a pip at the wrong end of the egg you may have to open a breathing hole for the duckling. @Magnolia Ducks @shawluvsbirds - did i explain that correctly?
Sounds good to me.

Yes. I sometimes open an air hole anyway. Use a tiny screw to make a tiny hole.

So sorry you had such a bad experience in our state. Like many other states we do have some crazy drivers but I am in the bus driving all day long and for the most part people are pretty considerate with me. I still drive to Columbus every Sunday to go to Church as I have gone there my whole life and it is where I am spiritually fed. I moved, the Church didn't so I still make the trip. We did get several inches of rain recently and there was a lot of flooding since it all came down in a few hours. Many of the berms on our roads got washed away. We had no snow to speak of this winter and it was great weather to be able to take care of the ducks. This was our second great winter in a row. They said you had to put something like the lens of the solar glasses over your camera in order to get good shots. I hope you got some. I am going to check them out now.
No! You got that wrong! I really loved driving through Ohio - maybe except those stop-signs with "cross-traffic won't stop" on the way back… All that i saw were lovely landscapes, rolling hills after crossing over the Ohio river and pancake flat with plenty of dux-ponds the further i drove to the north-west. Most of the family homes had at least one pond with a fountain - and ducks.
And the wild mallards really enjoyed all the flooded fields and wooded areas!
Now Columbus is like every other large cities in the USA - and likely Canada and Mexico and...
It seems all these people living so close together triggers the flight-instinct and drives them to do bad things, like weaving through traffic-lanes like maniacs.
I just would not be able to live in or close to a big city anymore. Once you got used to the "country-life" there's no way back it seems.

I tried to put my sun-glasses as well as the solar-glasses over the phone's camera, but that made things worse because the camera tried to focus on the glasses. Maybe it is something with the camera modules that Samsung is using? - All three phones were Samsung phones.
Anyways, pictures of the sun's corona are all over the place, but i have not seen any videos of the environment during the totality anywhere else.

No! You got that wrong! I really loved driving through Ohio - maybe except those stop-signs with "cross-traffic won't stop" on the way back… All that i saw were lovely landscapes, rolling hills after crossing over the Ohio river and pancake flat with plenty of dux-ponds the further i drove to the north-west. Most of the family homes had at least one pond with a fountain - and ducks.
And the wild mallards really enjoyed all the flooded fields and wooded areas!
Now Columbus is like every other large cities in the USA - and likely Canada and Mexico and...
It seems all these people living so close together triggers the flight-instinct and drives them to do bad things, like weaving through traffic-lanes like maniacs.
I just would not be able to live in or close to a big city anymore. Once you got used to the "country-life" there's no way back it seems.

I tried to put my sun-glasses as well as the solar-glasses over the phone's camera, but that made things worse because the camera tried to focus on the glasses. Maybe it is something with the camera modules that Samsung is using? - All three phones were Samsung phones.
Anyways, pictures of the sun's corona are all over the place, but i have not seen any videos of the environment during the totality anywhere else.
Yes, I grew up in the city but would never want to live there again. Things have changed so much since I was a child and just even going once a week back to where I grew up is an experience in itself. I see all of the crazy drivers and get quite concerned about some of the people. It's a whole different culture now and it is a lot rougher than when I lived there. I saw my childhood home get ridden with bullet holes and then later torn down. I was sad to see that happen.

Back
Top Bottom