~The Sapphire Gem~ A Breed's Chat Thread

It’s interesting to read about all of the variability in looks and temperament with these birds. Being crosses I suppose that’s not shocking.

My only Sapphire Gem is really neat. Tiny and lean compared to my others, big floppy comb, white earlobes, very good flyer. She’s friendly but doesn’t like being picked up or touched unless on her terms. She’ll hop up and sit in my lap if I drag a clean chair into the run. And a very good layer... nearly an egg a day. Sort of wish they were a bit more consistent... I really like this little bird and would love to have more!

117FC61E-3FDD-4C88-A8DD-08D60EB91C33.jpeg

Welcome to the Sapphire Gem chat thread! I created this thread as a place to gather and talk about the new, beautiful, regal breed; the Sapphire Gem! Anyone interested in this new breed is welcome here, feel free to post pictures of your birds and engage in discussion, this is a very new breed and hopefully it can gain some ground in the chicken world!

About the Sapphire Gem:
The Sapphire Gem is a new sex-linked breed of chicken with lavender and blue colored plumage. Hens will grow to be about 4lbs, while males will mature at about 5lbs. They are wonderful layers, bred to lay around 290 brown eggs a year. The breed is very close to Old Andalusians and does well in hot climates. They were developed by a breeder in the Czech Republic.
I just got a Blue Star. Its probably the same concept. I was told a mix of barred rock with australorpe

Attachments

• PXL_20210427_195952147~2.jpg
    PXL_20210427_195952147~2.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 10
It’s interesting to read about all of the variability in looks and temperament with these birds. Being crosses I suppose that’s not shocking.

My only Sapphire Gem is really neat. Tiny and lean compared to my others, big floppy comb, white earlobes, very good flyer. She’s friendly but doesn’t like being picked up or touched unless on her terms. She’ll hop up and sit in my lap if I drag a clean chair into the run. And a very good layer... nearly an egg a day. Sort of wish they were a bit more consistent... I really like this little bird and would love to have more!

View attachment 2644101
Your girl is super pretty, I’m a fan white earlobes, some of mine have a touch of white but none like yours. My girls are all pretty large. Only one (our of 7) has a floppy comb.

My Sapphire Gem is named Shadow, my oldest son named her. She's been the sweetest and most calm. She is a total lap chicken, if I sit she's in my lap. Along with my BR.

Attachments

• 20210421_101952.jpg
    20210421_101952.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 20210421_101523.jpg
    20210421_101523.jpg
    708.6 KB · Views: 11
I just learned about these beautiful girls!! I've been wanting a Black Australorp, but since finding out about this breed, I'm kinda waffling on that. Does anyone have both the BA and SG? Which do you like better?

I just learned about these beautiful girls!! I've been wanting a Black Australorp, but since finding out about this breed, I'm kinda waffling on that. Does anyone have both the BA and SG? Which do you like better?
I have both a Sapphire Gem and a Black Australorp.

The BA is very sweet and friendly, but that may be because she was attacked by a neighbors dog and needed months of indoor care. (She's all better now!) The BA is 3 years old, however, while the SG is only 12 weeks. As far as egg laying goes, Jasmine (the BA) lays occasionally, maybe 3 times a week. It took her a Long time to begin due to her injury (started a year ago, so when she was 2) Her eggs are a nice, pinkish brown, fairly large, and tasty. She is also GORGEOUS! I'm even thinking about showing her, though not sure if her leg injury would disqualify her. Her sweet, black eyes, green sheen on her feathers, and stance are, just, well, stunning.

As far as Safaia goes, (the SG) She is also very pretty. Her eyes are currently almost a greenish color, but not sure if that will change as she ages. She is currently a little skittish, but no where near as flighty as some of the others. She is also absolutely gorgeous. Her blue (they actually do look blue) feathers are stunning. She has yet to lay being only 12 weeks, but gets along well with the rest of the flock. Any way, I hope this helps! Below is a post about Safaia with pictures.

Honestly, if possible, I would get both, both being amazing breeds.
Just found this thread. I have a sapphire gem named Safaia, and she’s great! Currently she is 8 weeks old! Just a few pictures of her as she grew.

I have both a Sapphire Gem and a Black Australorp.

The BA is very sweet and friendly, but that may be because she was attacked by a neighbors dog and needed months of indoor care. (She's all better now!) The BA is 3 years old, however, while the SG is only 12 weeks. As far as egg laying goes, Jasmine (the BA) lays occasionally, maybe 3 times a week. It took her a Long time to begin due to her injury (started a year ago, so when she was 2) Her eggs are a nice, pinkish brown, fairly large, and tasty. She is also GORGEOUS! I'm even thinking about showing her, though not sure if her leg injury would disqualify her. Her sweet, black eyes, green sheen on her feathers, and stance are, just, well, stunning.

As far as Safaia goes, (the SG) She is also very pretty. Her eyes are currently almost a greenish color, but not sure if that will change as she ages. She is currently a little skittish, but no where near as flighty as some of the others. She is also absolutely gorgeous. Her blue (they actually do look blue) feathers are stunning. She has yet to lay being only 12 weeks, but gets along well with the rest of the flock. Any way, I hope this helps! Below is a post about Safaia with pictures.

Honestly, if possible, I would get both, both being amazing breeds.
it does help.... to make me want both! LOL Right now we're only going to get two chickens to get our feet wet. I guess we'll see if it's one of each or two of one or the other. LOL

Attachments

• 20210525_120844.jpg
    20210525_120844.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 10
I also have both!

All birds are individuals of course, and what they will be like also comes down to genetics and upbringing.

My BA and Gem aren’t really that different. Both are friendly but not affectionate. They like to hang out and will come running for treats but not really interested in being picked up or touched. The Gem is a bit bossier with other birds but not mean, the BA is a pushover when it comes to other birds and gets picked on (mostly by my Barred Rock, very rarely if ever by the Gem).

They both lay at about the same rate (both are very good layers!). The BA eggs are BIG and the Gem’s I would describe as largish medium.

Back
Top Bottom