~The Sapphire Gem~ A Breed's Chat Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FeatherMtnFarms, Mar 10, 2018.

1. FeatherMtnFarms

FeatherMtnFarms Songster

Sep 13, 2015
    Wyoming
    Welcome to the Sapphire Gem chat thread! I created this thread as a place to gather and talk about the new, beautiful, regal breed; the Sapphire Gem! Anyone interested in this new breed is welcome here, feel free to post pictures of your birds and engage in discussion, this is a very new breed and hopefully it can gain some ground in the chicken world!

About the Sapphire Gem:
    The Sapphire Gem is a new sex-linked breed of chicken with lavender and blue colored plumage. Hens will grow to be about 4lbs, while males will mature at about 5lbs. They are wonderful layers, bred to lay around 290 brown eggs a year. The breed is very close to Old Andalusians and does well in hot climates. They were developed by a breeder in the Czech Republic.

2. Sapphire Jan

Sapphire Jan In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2018
    I'm happy you started this thread! About two weeks ago we purchased two chicks from Rural King. They both are supposed to be females, but I have my doubts. But they sure are cute! And much more calm than our other chicks. Quieter, too. A couple of chill little birds!

Attached Files:

3. FeatherMtnFarms

FeatherMtnFarms Songster

Sep 13, 2015
    Wyoming
    @Sapphire Jan, beautiful chicks! It's a little early to tell but they look like girls to me!:) I got my first two "gems" about a week ago from Shipton's Big R, which they got from Hoover's. The two are pretty quiet as well, quieter than my Dominique, lol!

4. Sapphire Jan

Mar 10, 2018
    When I put them in the counter for pics, they were very quiet. The light one, that I named Jewel, proceeded to eat the corn meal that I put down. The dark one (no name yet) just stood there. Later, I did the same for pics of another breed of chick, and HOLY COW was she loud!

FeatherMtnFarms likes this.
  5. FeatherMtnFarms

FeatherMtnFarms Songster

Sep 13, 2015
    Wyoming
    No way!! I named by lighter one Jewel as well! Great minds think alike! My jewel is the sweetest for pictures and her sister Riya is excellent as well!

Sapphire Jan likes this.
  6. FeatherMtnFarms

FeatherMtnFarms Songster

Sep 13, 2015
    Wyoming
    IMG_0374.JPG Riya
    IMG_0403.JPG Jewel
    IMG_0396.JPG Another one of Jewel showing her other side of her face with a unique marking

7. Sapphire Jan

Mar 10, 2018
    My gems don't have any yellow on them like yours. I sure hope we weren' tsold something else by mistake.

8. Sapphire Jan

Mar 10, 2018
    And your Jewel is adorable with the unique marking!

9. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    @Sapphire Jan
    Both of your chicks look barred.
    If so they're both males.

MattCopeland likes this.
  10. FeatherMtnFarms

FeatherMtnFarms Songster

Sep 13, 2015
    Wyoming
    Thank you! And I'm just getting started with the breed so I'm a little uncertain as to weather the absence of yellow on yours indicated a different breed. Along with The Moonshiner's post; the barring and the absence of yellow (maybe I don't know for sure) might be a sign they're males. Though I have heard from numerous sources confirming that barring indicates males.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: