The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Hi everyone. I picked up a little welsummer pullet. She is so sweet.

But.. why does she not really have a tail? Shes 2 months.

Anyone have any more ideas. Ill do whatever it takes to make her healthy if its a health issues. Just need some ideas..advice.

bump!!!!

We have seven almost 12 week old pullets. Two of them are Welsummers. Just recently (last week) one of the Welsummers started picking on the other. The bully is not at the top of the pecking order (of all the girls) from what I can tell, two of the Ameraucanas sort of share that spot :) She doesn't pick on anyone else and nobody else picks on the one she is picking on. She grabs the feathers at the top of her head and pulls them out. I don't worry about it too much while they free range, but she is secluding her from the others and not letting her sleep in the coop half the time.

Any ideas on what to do or why she is doing this?

Also, my Welsummers are the opnly ones that do this so I thought I'd see if anyone else's do this. They puff up all the feathers on their head (like a dog's hair sticking up on the back of it's neck) when they are trying to look all big.

Last edited:
We have seven almost 12 week old pullets. Two of them are Welsummers. Just recently (last week) one of the Welsummers started picking on the other. The bully is not at the top of the pecking order (of all the girls) from what I can tell, two of the Ameraucanas sort of share that spot :) She doesn't pick on anyone else and nobody else picks on the one she is picking on. She grabs the feathers at the top of her head and pulls them out. I don't worry about it too much while they free range, but she is secluding her from the others and not letting her sleep in the coop half the time. 

Any ideas on what to do or why she is doing this?

Also, my Welsummers are the opnly ones that do this so I thought I'd see if anyone else's do this. They puff up all the feathers on their head (like a dog's hair sticking up on the back of it's neck) when they are trying to look all big. 

I would isolate the bully for a few days this will reduce her in the pecking order when she returns. I my also change the way she acts with the other hen.

I got some pictures today of my pullets and the cockerel I kept. (Diane, these are our babies) 2 pullets and the cockerel are 5 months old. The 3rd pullet is 4 months old.

First up, Moose's son:

I got some pictures today of my pullets and the cockerel I kept. (Diane, these are our babies) 2 pullets and the cockerel are 5 months old. The 3rd pullet is 4 months old.

First up, Moose's son:

love that first pullet, they are all beautiful though! - do the others normally carry their tails higher? Mine always drop theirs down when they are in "get out from in front of the camera" mode lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom