The Welsummer Thread!!!!

That's what I thought. Funny enough, I tried to order a male along with two females from the hatchery but they were sold out of MALES. So I ordered the two females and this is the only one to survive shipping. So I guess I won't be getting the eggs I wanted but at least I'll get a handsome Roo out of the situation lol.

That's what I thought. Funny enough, I tried to order a male along with two females from the hatchery but they were sold out of MALES. So I ordered the two females and this is the only one to survive shipping. So I guess I won't be getting the eggs I wanted but at least I'll get a handsome Roo out of the situation lol.
You could order another couple of girls!

Thanks for the advice, as I may have confused you. The run is 3 metres x 2 metres x 3 metres, I didn't describe it well enough. I will hopefully have some little chicks for her to look after one day. My mother is scared of taking the eggs off the wellsummer (her name is goldie) because she pecks her viciously. We have only had them for a month now, they started laying in the first two days. My mother in the day has to poke her away with a stick, i find this harsh but its the only way.
Theo.

Good size then - if was feet instead of meters that would have been too small

as to getting the eggs away from the momma hen, I have a good tip for that. You a ping pong paddle or any other flat surface with a handle. Hold the paddle up to the hens face to block her face from seeing your other hand when you reach in to grab the eggs. If she does peck ,she'll only get the paddle, not you. ( I use my grand daughter's hand held princess mirror - sorry Lillian - Nam Maw stole it)

Hi all, I am new to chickens and have a 5 week old Welsummer, Lindi, who had the markings of a girl when she hatched, however she has got a pretty sizable comb compared to my two Swedish Flowers and my Cream Legbar, and I noticed today that she's starting to get wattles - is this normal at such a young age? This photo is from last weekend, I think. Appreciate any insight...

Hi all, I am new to chickens and have a 5 week old Welsummer, Lindi, who had the markings of a girl when she hatched, however she has got a pretty sizable comb compared to my two Swedish Flowers and my Cream Legbar, and I noticed today that she's starting to get wattles - is this normal at such a young age? This photo is from last weekend, I think. Appreciate any insight...
Pullet.

Look at my 5 week old a page back and you will see what a male looks like
smile.png

Hiyas! I only have 4 chickens but 1 is a Welly so I wanted to join the club. Her name is Tea. My boyfriend wanted to name her Mr. T due to her stripe as a chick but I insisted on her having a girl name so Tea was our compromise. All the girls are very nice to each other, no one is pushy but there are the brave and the well... "chicken" chickens, Tea is in the middle. She's a follower. She's the look out, most curious, and likes to inspect everything but is never the one to actually go see what's up. She's the warning alarm and the most vocal. I'll be sure to update the next growth spurt or when she lays an egg.

Tea at a couple weeks old.

About a month old with her sisters. She's always interested in the camera.

About 2 months

with her buddy Eleanor (EE)

and again with the camera. These are the most recent, taken this week at about 10 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom