This bird really has me confused!

RaeC

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 18, 2007
Mc Rae, AR
Hey guys! Yesterday I acquired two splash standard cochins who I *thought* were both hens. But this one is confusing me.
hmm.png
It has the stance of a roo, and pointy/shiny saddle feathers. But tiny comb & wattles, and no spurs to speak of. And it talks like a hen! I just don't get it. lol

014.JPG

With the hen on the right:
006.JPG

004_39769.JPG

What do you think? I'm stumped.
tongue.png

Well I will say that it is beautiful! How old is it? Maybe an immature roo? I don't have much experience with the standard cochins. Maybe someone with more hands on the breed will come along.

*groan* I reeeeeeaaaally don't need another rooster!
tongue.png
lol There actually is no tail, just a bare butt. The hen was plucking his feathers when they were caged before I got them.
tongue.png

In my experience cochins are slow to develop. I bought a bantam "pullet" that was shown as such by an experienced breeder and had "her" for a few months before finding out she was really a he. Once in a while, even with experience you get tricked.

Looks like a young roo- you might hold on to him until he matures a bit-he has potentail to be nice. Most Asiatics are slow to develope, so culling too soon is something you want to avoid.

Peeps-I'm in Arkansas.

Well, I already have four roos, don't really need a fifth.
hmm.png
And, actually, the day I picked up this guy, I was trying to sell two other roosters! Go figure!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom