This CAN'T be happening to me!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Jan 13, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Jethro has gone broody!! [​IMG]

With one broody already in that coop and eggs in the bator, I was hoping - given her name - that Jethro wouldn't think twice about going broody. But noooooooo She's not only taken over the favored nestbox, when I went out there to collect the eggs that I saw upon opening the coop this morning, I found Jethro had stolen them. [​IMG]

I'll have to think seriously about breaking her. [​IMG]

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Maybe Jethro will be willing to raise your 'bator babies?

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    My broody hen was hogging the favorite nest box as well! She gave up because we kept taking her eggs and tossing her out! Cant wait until it warms up!

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That's what I'm hoping. [​IMG]

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:She doesn't get to keep it, no matter what I decide to do. It's the largest of the nestboxes and the only one the meatie pullets can fit into. She looks kinda silly, this tiny silkie in a crate big enough for a cocker spaniel.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Did you change feed lately?[​IMG] Careful what you wish for.[​IMG]

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That's what someone else asked me. I think it's that super duper gamebird feed I give them as a scratch.

Every morning now I open their coop door with a warning...."There better not be a broody in here or y'all are nuggets!!"

8. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That's what someone else asked me. I think it's that super duper gamebird feed I give them as a scratch.

Every morning now I open their coop door with a warning...."There better not be a broody in here or y'all are nuggets!!"

Hmmm. You must be doing something wrong. When I fed super duper gamebird feed and put them to bed with a broiler vs layer discussion I started getting eggs right away.

I had a battle on my hands trying to break a broody buff .

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    No way................a broody silkie....................really? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

All quiet on this western front! I could use a broody right about now. Heck, I could use eggs right about now! They are starting back to laying, but cripes it's slow going!

10. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    too funny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by