Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

the Chocolate Scovies finally layed today
celebrate.gif

now to see if I can break a broody goose.... she hasn't even laid enough eggs to earn broody
he.gif
Looks like you & Utah are having the same task to tackle ! Good Luck
fl.gif

Quick question, my eggs went into lockdown yesterday on day25, humidity is just over 70. Just read on another thread that some people don't put the eggs into lockdown until they've pipped. Have I don't it too early? I don't want to drown them. Any advice?

Quick question, my eggs went into lockdown yesterday on day25, humidity is just over 70. Just read on another thread that some people don't put the eggs into lockdown until they've pipped. Have I don't it too early? I don't want to drown them. Any advice?
I don't up the humidity until they've internally pipped.

Holy byjoley, I just risked a super speedy candling and it looks like they've all pipped internally I.e. I can see shadows in the air sacs. That sound right for internal pips? Can't hear anything though. Ahhhhhh shocker!

I don't change humidity at all during incubation, Lockdown, or hatching. But thats just me.... I also put my eggs in LD 3 days prior to hatch day. No matter development. They all seem to hatch fine for me. We all have our own techniques & what works for one may not work for another ! Good Luck!

Ok phew thanks, that would explain why they are ok then if you don't have to wait for the pipping to start lockdown. Hope they don't hatch while I'm at work over the next 2 days!

Hi everyone!

Quick question on temp accuracy during incubation. I know it's supposed to be 99.5 for duck eggs, but I also read somewhere (Holderread? Can't remember exactly...) that the temp on top of the egg should be 101.5. I notice if I put the little measurer end of my temp / hygrometer on top of the egg it seems to be higher. My question is - which is a more accurate way of measuring the temperature inside the incubator do you think? On top of egg, or just on the wire rack?
I'm not too worried about my temps, been keeping it pretty steady. Day 7 tomorrow when I'll do my first candle
fl.gif
wee.gif

I personally leave mine on the rack and keep it at 99.5F. Once last time I sat my thermometer on top to see what it read.. It was 102F and I freaked a little and decided NOT to do that again LOL. All hatched fine. :) Good luck!!

Ok that's what I'm going to do from now on. I keep changing it around when I open the incubator to turn the eggs and it's just adding another thing to worry about! 99.5 on the rack it is.

Back
Top Bottom