Timing for chicks to be placed outdoors?

True Patriot

Sanity is subjective
May 20, 2018
Liberty Co, Georgia
My Coop
My Coop
What is the average age for chicks to be living in the main coop? I finally have a design for a coop that I like and will be starting to build. I was wondering when I should order chicks. I'll be brooding them indoors and I live in southern Georgia. Already hitting 90's during the day. Which will be normal untill around Sept. I want to try timing their move to Sept when the temperature will be less stressful. Or is that not as much of a concern as I m thinking. These will be the first chickens here so no integration problems with an existing flock. (At least there's that:))

If your coop has a safe environment, around 2 months
I'm going to try making them jealous over at ft Knox. I'm a big believer in overbuilding. I work extended hours at times so I don't want any calls from home about something getting into the coop. But thanks for the time frame. That puts my order around mid July. That actually would be ideal.

A hen will take her chicks into the flock at 2-3 days old.
I brood outdoor at 3-5 days old, and put them in with the big birds at 4-5 weeks old. They are feathered out, and roosting, I also would be adding them to the existing flock.
My brood house is in site of the flock, the girls can and do visit the little ones. But they cannot touch them or their food/water! When moved to the main coop, I have an area surrounded with 3x3 wire for the littles to go in with food. Many hiding places, perches and lots of room, extra water sources in the run.
As to heat, it gets hot here too, near 100*F today, they do need good shade, and good ventilation in the coop. Things they can get under to cool off.

A hen will take her chicks into the flock at 2-3 days old.
I brood outdoor at 3-5 days old, and put them in with the big birds at 4-5 weeks old. They are feathered out, and roosting, I also would be adding them to the existing flock.
My brood house is in site of the flock, the girls can and do visit the little ones. But they cannot touch them or their food/water! When moved to the main coop, I have an area surrounded with 3x3 wire for the littles to go in with food. Many hiding places, perches and lots of room, extra water sources in the run.
As to heat, it gets hot here too, near 100*F today, they do need good shade, and good ventilation in the coop. Things they can get under to cool off.
Thanks. This would be the beginning of a flock. No others for them to integrate with yet. Without other chickens does that affect the timing?

At 4-5 weeks they are fully feathered out and good to go even in the winter, with no heat. Moma hen would have them on the roost!

Edit in warm weather I would put them out sooner, but I have to deal with cats.

Without other chickens, they could essentially go out any-time. They may need supplemental heat, mostly at night during this time of year, but if you're working from 35C/95F, take 5 degrees off each week and as soon as the night-time temperature matches the requirements, they can go off heat. I've got 4 week olds off-heat right now, but as I have an existing flock of boisterous big birds, I'll keep mine seperate for a couple of months yet.

I put my chicks in the coop at 5 weeks, first flock, May 9. Temps upper 30s/40s at night, around 60/70 afternoons. 20160509_122334.jpg .
I used a heat lamp nights controlled by a dimmer.
May 13 I let them out to forage under the raised coop. 20160513_163315.jpg . They are over 2 years now. GC

Back
Top Bottom